Sunday, 12 July 2015

Top 5: Summer bases

Getting my summer base right is like walking a tightrope. There's a fine line between glowy and sweaty, oil-absorbing and cakey, and on the handful of days that the sun shines in Manchester, you better bet I want my skin to look like skin... just better. These are my 5 picks for this time of year.




  1. Bourjois 123 Perfect: A new find this year, this foundation feels and looks luminous on the skin (obviously without any shimmer) but has surprisingly good coverage and lasting power. It is billed as 'colour correcting' and really lives up to the claim - Even though it is a light base it does a great job covering my dark circles so I can go easier on the concealer.
  2. Jouer Matte Moisture Tint: My go-to summer base. This product was the first I found to provide a lightweight feel, in a medium coverage, matte-effect summer base. This is billed as a matte tinted moisturiser (genius) but it may as well be a foundation. On me, it stays in place and looking matte/satin (and never shiny) through a whole summer day. A forever favourite.
  3. Hourglass Illusion Hyaluronic Skin Tint: Another new find this year. I've written a full review of this product here. Suffice to say that it definitely has more coverage than a 'tint', is moisturising, and melts beautifully into the skin (without ever melting off of skin!). A great option if you want a hydrating product that isn't going to be a slippy mess.
  4. L'Oreal 24 Hr Infallible Pro-Matte: Another new release this year. On me, this has a similar finish to the matte moisture tint, in a slightly less 'whipped' feeling formula. For me it's a winner because it's one of the very few foundations that doesn't smudge under the bridge of my glasses.
  5. Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid Foundation: I tend not to sport this unless I'm actually in a warm climate - like when I lived in Melbourne, or if I'm on holiday in Cyprus. It's SPF 43, has a super liquidy lightweight formula, and is waterproof!!! This sets in a way that lasts much longer than typical bases without any need to layer or get into cake territory. It's perfect for sweaty beach days or humid sticky city weather.



No comments:

Post a Comment