Sunday, 26 July 2015

10 seasonal bits I'm absolutely loving

This is not a comprehensive list of summer bits, nor a selection of holiday must-haves. I'm in Manchester and if the cosmos are being generous, it pushes 18 degrees with a few hours of sun at best. That said, of course there are certain products I tend towards in the warmer months, and these are 10 that I've absolutely been loving or been impressed with lately.


  1. Nars Larger than life long-wear eyeliner in Barrow Street: I'm all about the neutral eye looks, but a bit of colour here an there never killed anyone, especially in summer. This matte mint green brightens the eyes in a slightly unexpected but very summery way. The formula is smooth and indeed long wearing, and works on the waterline or the lashline. A fave for two years running!
  2. Estee Lauder Double Wear stay-in-place eye pencil in 09 Electric Cobalt: In a similar vein, I've been wearing this bright metallic cobalt liner too. Something about a bronzy eye and a blue liner screams summer to me, and this rendition is basically flawless. Brighter and more saturated than other 'similar' blues I've tried.
  3. Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder: I've spoken about this before on the blog, but it is by far and away the best face powder I've used. I can use this over any base and it looks flawless (never powdery) and keeps my face looking satin and and fresh all day long.
  4. L'Oreal Makeup Extender Setting Spray: After years of thinking it is more or less an unnecessary step, I've begun religiously using setting spray this summer. This one is the best I've tried and I really do find that it extends the wear of my base, regardless of which foundation I'm wearing. Combined with the Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder it's an impervious combo!
  5. Charlotte Tilbury Eyes to Mesmerise in Marie Antoinette: You would have seen me make this recent purchase in my Charlotte Tilbury x Norman Parkinson haul, but it's quickly become a much loved product. The formula is thin and light, sheers out and blends flawlessly, never gets cakey or crepey, and dries down to a long lasting finish. I love both that I purchased but this taupey-bronzey shade in particular has been a daily staple.
  6. Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution lipstick in Miss Kensington: Another purchase from the same haul, this shade is THE perfect retro peach/pink nude. It brings to mind driving a vintage car down an Italian coastline, with huge white sunnies sporting this lipstick. Sounds crazy but with bronzed skin and eyes, the matte formula is just so chic. (nb: the colour does not appear true in the photo above! If you go to my haul I have much more accurate swatches!)
  7. St Tropez Instant Tan: Speaking of bronze, I've been absolutely loving this wash-off offering from St Tropez. I'm not a big one for fake tan - I'm super pale and actually kind of like it (it suits me!). The exception of course is my pastey legs and this does a treat to make them look slightly less blinding without any faff or maintenance. It claims to be water & transfer resistant and it actually is! It dries down without any tackiness and didn't rinse off in the shower until I actually scrubbed up with body wash the following morning.
  8. Essie nail polish in Chillato: One that made my June faves, this shade is just quintessential summer. A whited out chartreuse green. Nuff said
  9. Byredo Bal d'Afrique EDP: I wrote about this more extensively here, but it's become one of my two go-to scents this summer. It smells super super clean, and in my opinion there is nothing better than that on a hot sticky day. Lasting power is also ace!
  10. Lubin Gin Fizz EDT: Last but certainly not least is this gorgeous gem. It's no secret my summer drink of choice is a Gin & Tonic, and all my favourite cocktails are gin-based. I had been contemplating this purchase for literally months but since I had no way of smelling it in person I hesitated for ages. It is addictive and stunning, fresh, spritely, glamourous, and yet reserved. It was originally launched in 1955, inspired by Grace Kelly, and really does embody a sense of American sophistication found only in a Paris cocktail bar around that time. A gorgeous bottle, a gorgeous scent, and a new favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment