Wednesday, 22 April 2015

Byredo Bal d'Afrique EDP

Byredo Bal d'Afrique has made an appearance on these pages before but always as a coveted wish-list item. I said in my Christmas Gift Guide that this would be my next fragrance purchase from Byredo, and indeed when my Byredo Gypsy Water ran out this week, I finally took the plunge.


I've loved Byredo for a few years now, though they have only recently started to gain recognition in the beauty blogging world in the last 6 months or so I would say. Designed in Stockholm and produced in France, their range of perfumes and home fragrances is utter perfection. Gorgeous, design-conscious, minimal aesthetic, with unique high quality fragrances housed inside. Gypsy Water probably wins as my favourite fragrance I've ever owned, and I will continue to repurchase it. But a few months back on a trip to London I had a go smelling more of the range at Liberty's and got really hung up on Bal d'Afrique, in my opinion, a perfect fragrance for the warmer months that are now upon us.

According to Byredo, Bal d'Afrique comprises:
Top notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Neroli, African Marigold, Bucchu
Heart notes: Violet, Jasmin Petals, Cyclamen
Base notes: Black Amber, Musk, Vetiver Moroccan Cedarwood
On me it's fresh, a bit citrusy, a bit soapy, but also has a warmth that comes through. Dean thought a bit powdery, too. It has great sillage and longevity, which is not always the case for 'fresher' fragrances.

Of course, fragrances are personal and it's always best to try before you buy. If you're in London, Liberty stocks the full range, or you can purchase (like I did) from Parfuma.com, a fab Belgian website that offers free samples of anything they stock with an order, or has the option of buying samples to try prior to investing!

2 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing Byredo for a while now too - I had my heart set on Gypsy Water but now you're making me doubt myself...
    Sounds as if it's a great perfume!


    Dar | www.holylipstick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both but I think of the two Gypsy Water would be impossible not to like, whereas this one is prob best to try out first if you can! Gypsy Water is good all seasons too :) It's making an appearance in my April faves which will be up on Sunday :) Cat xx

    ReplyDelete