Friday, 13 February 2015

Winter empties

I mentioned in my last empties post that I was going to try to do this seasonally, so here is the latest instalment. A roundup of products I've recently finished with mini reviews of each, covering everything from skincare, to hair, to bodycare. Let's do this.


Fab

First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads: I've written about these gentle chemical exfoliating pads on a few other occasions, so I'll keep it brief. I swipe one of these pre-soaked pads over my face in the evening, after cleansing and before any serum or moisturiser steps. They are gentle enough for daily use but make my skin noticeably more radiant come morning. I love products that live up to their claims, and this one absolutely does. I've already repurchased the big container.

Co Lab Dry Shampoo: This little mini made it into my 2014 Favourites, and I've since repurchased a big can and another mini. It's hands down the best dry shampoo I've ever used. It does not leave a white residue in my hair, creates noticeable volume, and is the only product of the sort I've tried that doesn't make my hair feel disgusting and like I have tonnes of buildup. So rather than extending a style 1 day with most dry shampoos you can easily get away with 2 or 3 using this.

Vichy Purete Thermal Micellar Solution: This and the L'Oreal Cleansing Water are the only 2 that even come mildly close to Bioderma. I would pick this up again in a pinch, but if you saw my recent repurchases post, you'll know I've gone back to my beloved - the original - Bioderma.

I love... Coconut Cream bath and shower creme: Let's not get too over enthusiastic about this one - it's a pretty bog-standard body wash. But, it's huge, cheap, easily accessible in the UK, and smells amazing. And it didn't dry out my skin. It's basically all I'm looking for in a body wash.

Budget dependent

Philosophy Eggnog Shower Gel: These Philosophy 3-in-1's (body wash, bubble bath, shampoo) are the obvious inspiration for the above "I love..." version. The packaging is near identical, and the formula is pretty similar too (the Philosophy a tad thicker and 'creamier' feeling). This one is budget dependent because it's nothing special formula wise - it ticks all the same boxes as the one above, except it's not cheap. The scent of Eggnog was for me, utterly fabulous and authentic, and totally worth the price during the holiday season, but it's not something I'll be splashing out on all year long. That said, I see these on offer at TKMaxx on occasion, and when I see a drop in price I always snag a few.

Zelens 3t Complex Essential Aging Cream: This was a really lovely night cream - on the thicker side but easily absorbed, smelled natural but nice, and left my skin clear and plump. I'm on the anti-aging bandwagon mostly for preventative purposes at this point, though as I eek towards 30 I am beginning to see some very slight fine lines. I think while I was using this my makeup was less prone to drawing attention to these areas. But at 95 pounds, I'm not sure I saw anything miraculous enough that I'll be running out to buy another tub. For some this may not be a big purchase, and for you lot I'd recommend it as a great night cream. But for those of us for whom 95 is a splurge, I think you can find other similarly efficacious products for less money (or, invest in an expensive serum instead).

'Meh'

L'Oreal Everstrong Shampoo & Conditioner: I've seen a lot of chatter about the L'Oreal 'ever-' line and this duo is the strengthening one. I've no complaints - it worked nicely, smelled slightly herbacious, didn't weight down my hair and didn't wreak havoc. I did feel the need to use a clarifying shampoo on a weekly basis with these, though. Overall I was happy to finish them and move onto something else. The conditioner in particular punched below its weight I think.

Lush Big Shampoo: This shampoo on the other hand, is something I've repurchased 2 times in the past at various points. It's a sea-salt based shampoo great for clarifying hair and promoting volume. Weirdly, despite using this in the past, I found this current go with it to feel different. I had been skeptical of the formula in the past and proven wrong - the chunky sea salt always did seem to dissolve and lather quickly, but I found this pot less foaming, with more of it ending up on the floor of the shower. I also found it to be extremely stripping on my hair. After rinsing my hair felt like straw and I needed to use a hair mask as conditioner just to restore things to normal. Not sure if the formula is different, or whether my hair has changed, but I didn't get on nearly as well with this as I have in the past.

Regenerate Toothpaste: Let's get real peeps, this is a toothpaste. But, I thought I'd throw it in because it costs 10 pounds, and I recently saw it pop up on Space NK. I'm a big coffee drinker, (plus wine, and cocktails, and eating lots of lemon - Dean's Cypriot), so acid wear and tooth sensitivity are concerns of mine. I know I can't examine the molecular structure of my tooth enamel, but for me this had no more discernible effect on tooth sensitivity than your standard Sensodyne or Pronamel toothpastes (which I do think work really well, but are also much cheaper).

Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Vitamin C Collagen Booster: A big old 'meh'. My skin usually reacts wonderfully to vitamin C, but this did a whole lot of nothing for me. There are so many other products that give such better results that I can't recommend this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment