Friday, 27 February 2015

A big-a$$ Sephora haul + reviews of a few bits I returned!

As this posts, I'm on a transatlantic flight back to the UK. So, since the US shopping frenzy is well and truly over, I thought I'd share what I got at Sephora. Expect to see a lot of in-depth reviews on these bits over the coming weeks and months. Til then - Apologies for the iPhone photos! And the length... you may want to grab a coffee.




As usual, I tried for the most part to stick to brands not easily accessible in the UK, or to take advantage of mini sizes in cases of things I've wanted to try but not necessarily splurge on. And... this is what I ended up with. Read 'til the end to see the few things (not pictured) that I purchased but then returned as well, making full use of Sephora's fabulous return policy.

Makeup

For some reason when Marc Jacobs Beauty first launched not that many things stood out to me. On this trip, not so! I picked up 4 beauty bits from MJ and *spoiler* I'm loving all of them!

I went on a bit of a base binge as well...
I resisted a few of the Marc Jacobs brushes which looked and felt amazing, and opted for a couple more affordable Sephora options instead...
And finally, a few lip products...

Skincare

And a few more masks...

The Freebies

As always, I walked away with a sizeable number of free bits, which were especially lucrative this time around! I won't go through all of these bits but the ones I'm most excited about are... Deluxe sizes of the REN Flash Rinse 1-minute Facial, the new NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation, Beauty Blender solid cleanser, Dr Brandt Microdermabrasion Skin Exfoliant (which I love), and the Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Deluxe foundation. This on top of a tonne of mini samples and fragrance viles, and a 500 pt perk from Algenist!

Returns

Last but not least, there were 3 things I bought, tried, and returned...

  • Marc Jacobs Beauty Perfection Powder Featherweight Finish: This is a translucent pressed powder which was super finely milled, and looked and felt weightless on the skin. It really was a lovely powder. But, the packaging was defective - the whole cake was detached from the compact, a common problem apparently. At this price point, it's unacceptable. And once allowed the second-thought, the product just didn't blow me away enough to justify it when I have so many other good powders to get through. 
  • Make Up For Ever Liquid Lift Foundation in #10 Sand: Again, a nice enough foundation. It was medium or so coverage, but despite being aimed at ageing skins, I found it to be drying on the skin. It was less luminous than I thought it would be but also not the most long wearing. A bit of a meh middle of the range option. I have other foundations that I prefer, so given the opportunity to return it, I did.
  • The System - Formula X: Whether the nail varnishes get a rant or rave seemed to depend on whether they were applied with 'the system' - the full range of accompanying nail cleanser, base and top coats. So I bought it and tried with a free Formula X polish of your choice that comes with the kit. I did not find it improved wear time at all - my nails chipped within a day. Given I have a full range of manicure products at home, this $30+ kit did nothing for me.

4 comments:

  1. I adore Sephora, the sheer amount of stuff is kind of mind-blowing! You've picked up some great bits, the MJ liners are so good super expensive but there's something about the formula...

    Hope you enjoyed yourself!

    Dar | www.holylipstick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have been wanting to get the First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads for the longest time! I would love to hear what you think of them!

    Ellie

    http://thebeautifulunnecessary.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellie! They were a re-purchase so I've spoken about them a few times before - they're fab! Easy, gentle enough to use every night, and they deliver noticeably brighter skin in the morning. They're better than Pixi Glow Tonic (in my opinion) and a more gentle/everyday option compared to Alpha-H Liquid Gold. Def try them out if you get the chance! Nice blog by the way - just followed you on bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing but money just vanishes into thin air! The liners are great - I rarely wear liner on my upper lashline but have been everyday since getting these - I love the lilac metallic in particular!

    ReplyDelete