Thursday, 1 January 2015

Top 14 of 2014

Happy New Year! Before I get started embracing 2015, I'm giving my final nod to the year that just was. My very first blog post was my Top 13 of 2013, so it's hard to believe this time of year has come around again so quickly. 2014 was full of great new discoveries, including new releases and new-to-me products. Not surprisingly, I've spoken about each and every one of these sometime throughout the year. So without further ado, this post is a round up of my very favourite beauty bits (incl. makeup, skincare, hair and fragrance!) that I used throughout the past year.


  1. Indeed Labs Pepta Bright: A highly effective and moisturising serum to counteract hyper-pigmentation. This is a great product for evening skintone and clarifying the complexion, and it's even more satisfying to find such an efficacious product in the drugstore. Works morning and night. See my full review here.
  2. Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum: A good-for-your-skin product that triples as a makeup primer, a skin treatment, and a new face in a bottle. This is fine as a primer, but it also works on bare skin or over makeup and does absolutely miraculous things for my complexion. Somehow life is immediately brought back into sallow dull skin. The perfect remedy for dry winter skin, or when stepping off a long haul flight. See the full story of how I ended up with this very unlike me product... what a great feeling to be so unexpectedly blown away by a purchase.
  3. Jouer Matte Moisture Tint: This one is a bit out of season, but this is a yearly favourites after all. And since this is pretty much the only base I wore during all the warmer months it was only fair for it to make an appearance. It's the only tinted moisturiser I've tried that doesn't slip all over my face, or provide so little coverage that it's irrelevant. I'd say this provides medium coverage with a satin finish, that is still light weight, feels comfortable, and wears well despite the hot (read: sweaty) weather. I wear shade Linen.
  4. L'Oreal True Match Foundation: A discovery I made in the latter half of the year, this has become my everyday, go-to, don't have to think about it, foundation. It's a medium coverage, blends easily, has a natural finish (neither too matte nor too dewy), and has a very good shade range. It performs just as well (or better) as my high end foundations, for a fraction of the price. Check out my base shades post to see shade matches.
  5. Charlotte Tilbury Dolce Vita Palette: I had heard much ado about this but didn't think much of it until I finally caved and oh. em. gee. The shadows are beautifully textured - pigmented and buttery without any fallout or caking, ever. I'd wear the champagne and khaki all year round, whilst the rust colour is perfect for Autumn, and the glitter is the best I've tried. I've been immensely satisfied by this purchase, it's almost hard to describe!! (lol!). Check out my full review and FOTD.
  6. Charlotte Tilbury Fallen Angel Palette: I nearly thought the Dolce Vita was the only palette I'd ever need again, until this one released for the Holiday collection. The shades were just too gorg to pass up and I'm so f'n happy I got it. Metallic taupe and bronze, pretty champagne, and a rich satin black. These 2 quads make me want to replace my entire makeup collection with Charlotte Tilbury (watch out, 2015). Check out further thoughts & swatches here, and a FOTD here.
  7. NARS Madly blush: This is by no means new, and I owned it well before this year. But it was only this year that I got it. I could easily wear this all year round, and I have. It's a warm-toned but neutral blush that is fabulous for warming the complexion or adding slight definition without competing with eyes or lips. It is very versatile, and plays a similar role as Tarte Exposed, albeit with warmer makeup looks. Dare I say I'm madly in love with it.
  8. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette: I mean, just look at her. Everyone loves a good palette and brands finally acquainted blush with this loveable format this year. Done in sleek packaging, with a pink, a peach and a mauve/plum, in an amazing glowy formula, I have not one complaint about this palette. It's one of my two top recs for holiday releases this year.
  9. Kevyn Aucoin The Essential Mascara: This year I discovered my favourite-ever mascara. I just wish it wasn't so bloody expensive. This product does wonders for my lashes - in the easiest-to-apply formula, it gives super volume and length, and holds a curl. Nor does it budge or smudge. And, since it's not waterproof, it's still easy to remove when the time comes. Check out a before and after GIF in my full review.
  10. Anastasia Brow Wiz: Brows certainly do not excite me, but I have come to appreciate their role in a polished makeup look, and my product of choice for a defined but natural brow is the Brow Wiz. I use this most days, and it really has changed the frame of my face.
  11. Revlon matte balm in Striking: This may seem like a random choice but I'm all about the low maintenance lip colours. Normally that means sticking with neutral, no-mirror-needed shades, but this matte balm gives the look of a bold matte lip in a super easy-to-apply crayon packaging. The colour is an orange-red similar to other loves YSL L'Orange and MAC Lady Danger, but the formula is just so much more enjoyable. See me wearing it here.
  12. Rimmel Matte Kate Lipstick 107: Another bold choice, and it's another drugstore pick. I love this mostly for the shade (a gorgeous slightly vampy plum-berry), but the formula is also very comfortable. A shade this bold can make one weary, but it's non-drying yet stays in place, and I often forget I'm even wearing this. It's one of my favourite affordable makeup bits.
  13. Armani Si EDP: This fragrance made the cut because it featured in my Top 5 S/S fragrances, and would do again in my Top A/W fragrances. This perfume has a fruitiness combined with a woody warmth that is very sexy and makes me want more. For summer I'd reserve it for nighttime, but in winter I get away with it day and night. I'm rubbish at notes, so read more about them here.
  14. CO LAB dry shampoo: This product was a late release this year, and since it's attached to Blogger Ruth Crilly, has gotten a fair amount of PR attention on Youtube. But, having bought and used the product myself, I have to hand it to her. This is hands down the best dry shampoo I've ever used and it's hyper affordable. Lightweight without the gross build-up feel, and it delivers serious volume. It made it into my November favourites, so you can read more about it there. I've already bought 2 new cans. Fab.
I'd happily use these bits without any further additions, but here's to hoping that 2015 sees just as many fruitful new discoveries. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment