Monday, 26 January 2015

Shopping my stash (again)

A sure sign you have too much makeup is forgetting about things, even when you like them! Re-discovering of course, is part guilt, part mystique, but also really really fun.



YSL Youth Liberator Serum Foundation - BR20: I have a slight love-hate relationship with this foundation but I've concluded it's all about creating a perfect canvas, first. I was finding the longevity of this to be pretty terrible, looking patchy or non-existent by the afternoon - I kind of put it down to dry-ish winter skin.  But, ever since starting to use my Aesop Oil-Free Facial Hydrating Serum as my morning moisturiser, it's a whole other story. This serum gives the absolute perfect base for foundation - hydrated without being at all greasy, and has a slight tackiness that perfectly primes for makeup. I notice all my makeup lasting much longer with this serum underneath. Anyway though, since using the Aesop I find I also really love the finish of this foundation. My shade is a tad light- fine for winter, but that's all. I also find that a little does not go a long way - I need 2-3 pumps of this versus 1 of most of my other foundations. But once on, my skin looks clear, bright and luminous, and it gets better throughout the day. It also claims to have skincare benefits, so score. I'm not sure it's the first foundation I'd tell you to run out and get (because of the downsides), but given I have it already, I've really enjoyed reacquainting myself with it and finding a way to make it work.

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Honey: Next up is a lip crayon, which basically all brands do now. It's a format I love for easy, no-brainer, everyday lips. This formula is pigmented but also balmy and easy to apply, and feels comfortable on the lips. I had been focused on the matte version for a while, but recently pulled out the original and it's a lovely daily staple. Honey is a rosy mauve shade with moisturised balmy finish. An no mirror required.

Benefit Hervana boxed powder: Another oldie but goodie. I no longer like the packaging but I keep my small stash of these because the products themselves really are good. This one is a light pink matte blush when all the colours are swirled together. I'd say the mix of coral and violet produces a pretty neutral pink, perhaps the slightest bit peachy on my skin. It's definitely subtle, and reserved for light skintones, lest you want chalky cheeks. But it's a great non-offensive blush to give a bit of colour to the cheeks without competing with bolder eyes or lips, and it also works really well for a sort of light porcelain look.

And herein lies the reason I have so much makeup - I wouldn't say any of these products are groundbreaking per se (surprisingly few products are), but they're good, and I enjoy using them. I love them and forget them and come back to them again, and will hold on to them for that very reason. C'est la vie.

3 comments:

  1. I've never tried the YSL Youth Liberator Serum Foundation but considered getting it many times. I agree that a good hydrating base can make a huge difference in your makeup! :)

    Maria Mui // Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. The base DEF helps! As I say though, it's a bit of a love/hate so I hesitate to fully recommend it. Maybe get a sample if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's probably a good idea! :) Thanks for the help :)

    ReplyDelete