Wednesday, 24 December 2014

The Reds

I love a good bold lip at any time of year, but festive season certainly calls out for them even more. Here are 5 reds that I can totally vouch for.



  • MAC Russian Red: A very bold, requires-guts, bold matte red lip. I'd recommend applying this with a lip liner and a lip brush. We're not in low-maintenance territory by any means. But, of all my collection, this is the most 'true' in your face classic hollywood red.
  • Hourglass Opaque Rouge Lip Stain in Icon: A rich, saturated, bold red, in a long-wearing liquid stain. This colour is eye catching and glamorous, but my one complaint with this formula is that it doesn't apply well over itself. So, it's best kept for a drinks evening than a full-on feasting affair, because re-application can be laborious. If you want the colour without the fuss, Hourglass do Icon in other lip liners and lipsticks, too.
  • YSL Glossy Stain in #10: A squarely festive true red, with a relatively long-wearing glossy finish. This is probably my 'most worn' bold red if you exclude the orangey-toned options.
  • MAC viva glam Cyndi: Not not-so-bold red lip. This is no longer available but I've mentioned before, it's one of my all-time favourite shades. It's far more wearable than a bright bold red, having a bit of a cherry colour to it. If your holiday party is casual and you don't want to look too done up, but you're still going for something red, then this is a nice option.
  • MAC Lady Danger: I love this colour and I think an orange-red is often easier to pull off than a true red. Would it be the first shade that came to my mind for a holiday party? Definitely not. But, I also think you need to choose reds with skintone in mind, and for those who don't suit more blue-based reds, this is a striking option.
Which red will you be wearing for Christmas Eve tonight!?

No comments:

Post a Comment