Monday, 29 December 2014

December Favourites & Fails

December has to be my favourite month of the year. Both Dean and I are Christmas-obsessed - from music, to food, to decorations, to the bustling city, the festive spirit, and most importantly this year - we had our parents visiting us in Manchester! It is the month where my attention (and my budget!) are mostly turned towards others, but at the same time, the festivities entail parties and glamour, which calls on some fab beauty bits too. On to the faves...


Favourites


  • First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads: I've seen a lot of talk of these over recent months, and since I had a small tub that I got in a Sephora set earlier in the year, I decided to start trying them out at the end of last month. They are individual circular pads soaked in a gently (acid) exfoliating solution. I sweep this over my face after cleansing and before moisturiser in the evenings and I really do find my complexion to be clearer and brighter come morning. It's similar in concept to the likes of other gentle chemical exfoliants like the Pixi Glow Tonic, but I find these to be more effective, and still gentle enough to use once a day.
  • Philosophy Eggnog showergel: This one more or less speaks for itself. For me, the Philosophy shower gels are all about their scents. The formula is basic - not terrible, nothing groundbreaking, but the scents are fab. Given that, they're a bit overpriced for regular use, but I found a few at TK Maxx with holiday scents and the first one I've given a go is 'Eggnog'. And it smells exactly like eggnog. I'm especially missing my beloved holiday drink since I can't find it in the UK, so using this each morning is a festive nod to Christmas at home, and I'm obsessed.
  • Benefit Hervana: Since my spending in December is devoted to gifting, I did a bit of 'shopping my stash' action, and this is one of the oldies that I pulled out. It's a light slightly peachy, warm pink in a matte formula. I would reserve this for fair/light skin tones only, or things may get a little chalky. But for me, it's a perfect colour to add a flush to cheeks without competing with bold eyes or lips that I tend to favour during the holidays. See it on my cheeks here.
  • Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Honey: Another result of shuffling through my reserves. I wouldn't vouch for the 'stain' in the title, but it is a lovely and super easy to apply and wear tinted balm crayon in a pretty rosy mauve shade. I've been keeping it in my handbag and wearing it most days. See what it looks like on.
  • Charlotte Tilbury Fallen Angel Luxury Palette: I've been banging on about this all month, but I love it. I've been wearing it most days - all the colours are gorgeous. See my full thoughts on it and swatches here and on my eyes here, but in short it's one of my top two recommendations for Holiday 2014 releases.
  • Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum: A product I'm so surprised I love. I would have never chosen it for my combo skin, let alone ever think it would work for me or that I would love it. And yet here we find it in a favourites post. I've written my full thoughts on it here. Suffice to say it's full of good-for-your-skin oils and awakens my skin better than any other makeup product, without making it shiny or greasy, and can be used under or over makeup.

Fails


  • Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer: (not pictured) At the other end of the spectrum, is Hourglass's other primer, geared towards more oily skins. Now - this is a bit unfair. As a primer I actually really love this - it does work to keep my makeup lasting longer. But, it's the first product in a long time that I can identify as having broken out my skin, and does so repeatedly every time I use it. I blame the silicone, but if you're not sensitive it may be worth giving it a go.


No comments:

Post a Comment