Sunday, 9 November 2014

The lip product tag

Another week, another tag inspired by the lovely Laura from buy now blog later. This time we're talking all things lips.


  1. Favourite balm or treatment? Hands down By Terry Baume de Rose. I've been using this for a handful of years now and it is absolutely luxe. It smells of (actual) roses, has thick balmy texture but doesn't feel sticky or oily, and if I put it on before going to bed it's still on my lips come morning. It's the only treatment I need to keep my lips feeling hydrated. That said, just yesterday I as sold by an MUA at Hourglass in Liberty to get the Hourglass No. 28 Lip treatment Oil, which has much friendlier packaging for day time and I imagine will be good for winter. But, it's too early to vouch for it properly.
  2. Best eye-catching red/bright? It's a tie. Most eye-catching is probably the Hourglass Opaque Rouge in the colour Icon, a matte, dark, and very bold blue-based red. Think a bit of old Hollywood. You need guts to wear this. I also had to include the YSL Glossy Stain in #10 Red though, because it's my pick for an attention grabbing red lip with a glossier finish, and in my opinion a lot more wearable, more often.
  3. Favourite pink lipstick? For what occasion? My favourite in-your-face bright pink is MAC's Girl About Town, which is a bright blue-based fuchsia pink in an amplified creme finish. It's one of my go-to bold lips during the warmer months especially. My more everyday favourite pink is Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Saga, a light (but not too light) yellow-based pink. Whereas I would have said something along the lines of YSL Rouge Volupte #1 or #2, or MAC Hue a few years ago, I find these more nudey pinks quite unflattering or draining on my complexion these days. Saga on the other hand has a touch of vibrancy that really brightens the face. 
  4. Favourite nude lipstick? In a similar vain, I've really strayed away from what I would consider typical flesh-toned nudes (e.g. MAC's creme d'nude). I tend much more to go for a 'my lips but better' colour, my favourite of which is Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Boy. I also love Evasion in the same formula, which is really technically a pink but it's nude in the sense of being extremely neutral, wearable, and won't compete with anything else on your face. Can you tell I love me some Chanel Rouge Coco Shines?!
  5. Best luxury lipstick? Has to be my YSL Rouge Pur Couture in #13 L'Orange. My most favourite pick for a shocking orange/red lip (one of my favourite kinds!). It's a very similar shade to MAC Lady Danger but in a much more comfortable to wear formula. I have a soft spot for YSL lipsticks - I have many and they've never let me down. Their fruity scent is a bonus.
  6. Best MAC lipstick? I have and love many but as soon as I saw this question the answer emerged surprisingly easily. It's MAC's Viva Glam Cyndi, which unfortunately is no longer available but it's one of my all time favourite shades from any brand. It's a super unique slightly muted, fairly neutral (not blue or orange), red. It can be worn more casually or playfully, but it also has a really glam/romantic feel with a light wash of pale gold on the lids with a cat eye, heaps of mascara and a pinched cheek. When I wear this I never feel like I'm making a statement but it always makes me feel pretty and feminine.
  7. Favourite gloss? The first gloss I fell in love with was the YSL Gloss Pur in #3 Pure Coral, a super smooth peachy orange shade. All credit must go to the YSL MUA who sold it to me back in the day because at the time orange would not have been my first pick but she told me it's what they used over YSL Rouge Volupte #2 in Sensual Silk for that perfect editorial lip. And it really is a killer combo. More recently I've been loving the NYX glosses, my most reached for being the pinky/nudey/beige colour called Tiramisu.
  8. Favourite spring/summer shade? I've done a whole post devoted to this so I'll stick with my most worn summer shade, which has to be the YSL Rouge Volupte Sheer Candy in #10 Tangy Mandarin, a super easy to wear but very flattering juicy peach/coral shade. The formula is more like a tinted balm so your lips almost look naturally bitten and it's light to wear, easy to reapply, and smells lovely. All upsides in summer.
  9. Favourite autumn/winter shade? As the season is currently upon us I went for the ones currently topping my rotation - MAC Syrup (bottom) for an everyday plummy shade that goes with any look I'd be wearing this time of year. For more bold options I've been reaching for MAC Rebel (middle), a bold slightly vampy purple-fuchsia that can be worn sheer or really built up, and a recent addition, the Rimmel Kate Matte lipstick in #107 (top), a more red-toned berry shade which wears comfortably and smells amazing. 
  10. Lip liner - yes or no? No. I bought a few awfully dry ones from MAC a number of years ago and was a bit baffled, and put off. What seems like a recent resurgence does have me curious though, and I've just picked up the new Rimmel Exaggerate Full Colour Lip Liner in 063 East End Snob, which  may be the one to convert me. According to Amelia, it's a good stand-in for the Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat in Pillowtalk, which I'd also love to try.
I found it a bit difficult to slot things in but overall these products represent some of my absolute favourite lip products and would highly highly recommend any and all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment