Monday, 6 October 2014

Review: L'Oreal The Butterfly Mascara (AKA False Lash Flutter)

I picked up the L'Oreal The Butterfly Mascara (named False Lash Flutter in the UK) on a whim during a jaunt to the States a few months ago and finally got around to giving it a go.


My overall impression is a bit 'meh'. On the upside, it is properly black, doesn't transfer or smudge (it is waterproof after all), and it does provide decent length to my lashes. Unfortunately, there are more downsides given my preferences. I find application to be a bit of a faff - the brush is plasticky which I don't find grips my lashes as efficiently as brushes with bristles. The brush is also tapered which I find works much better on my right eye than my left - I need to switch hands for the tapering to work (which I'd rather not do) and otherwise am unable to get symmetrical drama on my outer lashes. The formula is a little wet for my liking - things can get a bit messy and I've had to touch-up my eyeshadow with a cotton bud during application more than a few times. It doesn't necessarily require many coats, but if that's what you want to do then this doesn't layer particular well over itself (clumping ensues!).  It is difficult to remove but I don't really count that against it, since it's kind of what you asking for when you purchase a waterproof mascara. However, it does make my lashes feel very crispy and brittle, which may not bother some but again, it's not my preference.

This is the first mascara I've tried since discovering my all-time-favourite, the Kevyn Aucoin The Essential Mascara, so maybe I'm applying a bit of an unfair benchmark. The latter provides far better volume and application, and wins in all departments for me, except price, and that it's not (even close to being) waterproof. Even so, I've tried other more affordable drugstore mascaras that I would happily use and repurchase before giving this another go.


No comments:

Post a Comment