Friday, 3 October 2014

Review: hydraluron & pepta-bright by Indeed Labs

Purchased at the height of the hydraluron hype, I've waited a fair few moons to share my thoughts on these two offerings by Indeed Labs - hydraluron and pepta-bright.


Hydraluron: Billed as a moisture boosting skin serum, hydraluron is said to contain a pure form of hyaluronic acid, known for it's ability to hold many times its own weight in water. The idea is to apply this to a cleansed face, and top with a moisturiser to amp up hydration levels in your skin. This became a bit of a cult product in the last year or two, in part because of the hype instigated by a recommendation from Caroline Hirons, and in part because it's not too-often that you get excellent quality skincare (especially serums) at such a reasonable price point (£24.99).

So how did I get on? I'll start by saying it's a pretty bog-standard product to use. The serum is a clear gel, scent-free, and totally non-luxurious to apply. It doesn't feel particularly nice or nourishing on the skin, so whether or not it lives up to its claims takes a bit of faith. The upside is that since it does not use oils to hydrate, it shouldn't pose any problems for shine or makeup application in general. My skin tends increasingly towards normal-combination (oily T-zone) but gets noticeably more dehydrated in Winter. I have to say I felt a bit like this was the emperor with no clothes?! I honestly didn't see or feel much effect in my skin - the results were just was un-noteworthy as the application. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe this works well for that added boost on skins so dry that a hefty moisturiser still isn't doing the trick, but for me it just felt like an added step in my routine, with very little effect. I won't be repurchasing.

Pepta Bright: This offering is a bit less spoken about, but probably does more closely target my skin concerns. Designed to help improve skin clarity, even skin tone, restore luminosity and radiance, diminish appearance of brown spots and hyperpigmentation, and maintain moisture levels, the claims are ones we hear often. I found it a bit difficult to decipher the active ingredients on the website because I'm not literate enough in ingredients lists without the idiot's guide, but Pepta Bright does seem to contain two proprietary ingredients - Chromabright and O.D.A White (whatever they are). It's meant to be used as a serum, but it definitely has a more opaque white cream-gel texture than does Hydraluron.

I've been using it morning and night for about 3-4 weeks now, and so far I've been very impressed. It feels a bit rich on the skin and at first I was concerned it may interfere with makeup but after a few minutes it dries down completely. I've worn this with and without moisturiser because I do find it quite hydrating on its own. Dare I say it lives up to all of its claims? My skin gradually became clearer over the first week of using this, and has since continued to look brighter, more even, and my hyperpigmentation seems to be much more easily covered by makeup (it's not gone, but definitely less pronounced). The serum itself is also nourishing and moisturising so you don't get the dryness that comes with for example, retinol treatments. It retails for £29.99 at Boots and I will be repurchasing.

Just goes to show that different products work for different people, and the hype doesn't always follow substance (at least given my own experiences with these products). Nonetheless, I'm definitely curious to try out more products from the Indeed Labs range, all of which seem to be targeted at specific concerns, which is a nice break from the products that promise to do everything except clean your flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment