Sunday, 19 October 2014

Review: BECCA Ombre Nudes Eye Palette

I had not heard anything about this lovely little palette before coming across it on the Space NK website recently, and given the recent hype surrounding the Naked Basics II palette, I thought I'd be a willing mouthpiece for this PR underdog. (Paid for with my own money, of course).


The Ombre Nudes palette is an all-matte, neutral eye palette by Australian brand Becca. It contains 5 shadows, all of which are fairly warm or neutral toned. And, as its name suggests, it resembles ombre - the five shades are within a similar colour family but get progressively darker. The shadows are very silky, have good pigmentation, and blend easily. In terms of mattes, the formula is great. Only the middle shade I found slightly more patchy than the others, but even that one blends easily enough on the eyes. The palette itself is petite and good for travel - the shadows are generous but the packaging is minimal, which I love.

The lightest shade works all over the lid or as a brow bone highlight, and depending on what look you're going for the remaining shades can work on the lid, in the crease, or as a liner. The palette stands alone and you can build a range of full looks from it if you're going for a warm toned matte eye, ranging from light to smoky. Part of my motivation for purchasing however, is that it's the perfect supplement to all of those palettes I own wherein shimmer shadows dominate. I tend to use a matte brown to blend my crease most days, regardless of the rest of my eye makeup, and this little palette gives you every deepness of brown you would want, in one place.

I have not personally tried any of the Naked Basics palettes, but from what I've read and common complaints I think if you found the Naked Basics 1 too light, or the Naked Basics 2 too cool-toned, then this might be your perfect palette. I have a hunch that if you are very dark skinned the variation between the shades may not show up adequately, but for light and medium skin tones I think this provides a nice and varied range of shades. Is this the most swoon-worthy or exciting palette? No. But the prettiest to look at aren't always the most reached for. Overall I think this is a staple palette for mattes and I'm very happy to have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment