Wednesday, 29 October 2014

My favourite affordable makeup bits

I've mentioned before that one of the reasons I got into 'high end' makeup was because in Australia the markup on drugstore products was so high that it never felt cheap or affordable anyway, so I at least wanted the satisfaction of buying something covetable. But, over the last few years, and with my newfound access to Boots, I've discovered a bunch of things that are not just 'the cheap alternative' to something else, but rather products I would rate above and reach for over some of their more pricey counterparts.



L'Oreal True Match Foundation (golden ivory): I've been reaching for this foundation most days over all my others ever since I picked it up in my Boots haul. It's a medium coverage foundation with what I would describe as a 'healthy-looking' finish. It's not artificially glowy but also not dry or flat - it looks like you have really well nourished, hydrated skin. The staying power on my skin is good - I powder it (as I do all my foundations) and it lasts a full day still looking good. You can apply with fingers but I usually use my Real Techniques Buffing Brush which gives a quick and easy result. It's become my daily, no brainer foundation. It has been described as similar to Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk, but comparison aside it's a great foundation in its own right.

Rimmel Kate Matte Lipstick in 107 Wine: I first saw this on Amelia's blog but then independently was drawn to the colour myself in Boots. In a very short amount of time it has become one of my favourite Autumn/Winter lip colours. It's a bold red-toned berry in a satin finish - it's not totally matte but that also means it's not drying. It feels so comfortable I often forget I'm wearing it (which is both a relief given the sometimes high maintenance associated with bold lips, but also a liability - don't smudge your lips!). In fact, I love it some much I've started sporting bold lips on the daily.

Maybelline Age Rewind Eraser in Fair: I've used this product on an off since it launched a few years back - the one pictured is probably my 3rd or 4th and I have another unopened one in my reserves. I use this brightening concealer over a more peachy corrector because I have really bad dark circles, but most gals could easily get away with just this. The genius is in the sponge applicator which seems gimmicky and a little unhygienic, but actually applies product extremely well with little blending effort required.

Rimmel Scandaleyes Liner in nude & taupe: Probably my favourite pencil liner formula. This stuff stays in place - no smudging or transferring. I love the nude for in my waterline to cancel out redness, and the taupe as a subtle way to define my lower lashline.

Soap & Glory Solar Powder: I'm not a huge bronzer person but this one is as good as any I've tried. It's neither too grey or muddy, too red, or too warm and orange. One side is totally matte and the other has a tiny bit of shimmer but I don't think it really transfers much to the face. I tend to mix the two shades but obviously if you're very fair or a bit darker, you can cater the colour to suit your skintone.

I don't get sent products and everything that shows up on this blog are things I've bought to actually use myself, so I have no reason to buy cheaper things just to provide alternatives to my readers. These are the real deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment