Monday, 22 September 2014

Shopping my stash: 3 re-discoveries

The seasonal transition has found me shuffling through my makeup looking for less summery options, and in the process I've re-discovered some gems that had all but been forgotten.


Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in 54 Boy: Probably my all-time favourite 'nude' lipstick. The formula is light, glossy and easy to wear, and the shade is nude in a 'my lips but better' way, not a mannequin/concealer way. It basically goes with everything, and is the perfect lip to wear when you want some healthy colour but don't want your lips to compete with the rest of your makeup.

By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder: A silica based powder that also contains hyaluronic acid known for its hydrating properties. This is a super light weight colourless powder that can be used on its own, under or above makeup. It's actually quite interesting - it is a powder so it's great for setting and mattifying the face, but because of the hyaluronic acid it manages not to be drying, and it never goes cakey. As the day goes on my face does look naturally satin (not totally matte) but the powder definitely keeps shine at bay. Pores are less visible and it doesn't settle into or enhance fine lines. Dare I say it lives up to its claims! I've been using this everyday since pulling it out of the depths.

Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily Cologne Intense: I purchased this perfume in the duty free when I moved from Melbourne to Copenhagen, which in retrospect wasn't the wisest idea. I was leaving my favourite city in the world and a place I still consider home, and arrived in Copenhagen alone, to dark and lonely -10C days. My associations with this scent are therefore quite grim, and as a result I really never ever wear it - quite unfortunate since the scent itself really is lovely. A warm, quite sensual scent that is great for the colder months. I've begun making a concerted effort to wear this more often, in the hope that I can re-train my brain to form new, happy associations! We'll see.

The upside of having way too much makeup is that you make these little (not really) new discoveries! In this case, three products I'm happy to be reacquainted with.

2 comments:

  1. I love Chanel's Boy! I'll have to crack it out too, thanks for the reminder.
    I've been wanting to try out the By Terry Hydra-Powder for a bit of time now and your glowing review is bumping it up the list very quickly.
    About the perfume - maybe try to wear it on nights out, with friends etc, when you just know you'll have fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to jog your memory about Boy, it's lovely! :) The by terry powder isn't cheap but it is really nice if you're looking for a colourless powder. It can get a little messy in the pot b/c it's so lightweight but that's also why it looks great on the face. Fingers crossed with the perfume :) :)

    ReplyDelete