Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Review: The Bathory

To continue with my newly-found bath obsession, I recently placed an order with The Bathory, a small independent producer of bath soaks, tailor made-to-order with your choice of essential oils. I'd seen a few positive reviews of this company over the past few months, who I gather had plugged into the blogosphere to boost their release, and decided to give the brand a go (with my own money, of course!)


The brand appeals to me on a whole number of levels. First, the logo, packaging and online platform are all sleek and simple, with a clear commitment to to a clean aesthetic. The core idea, too, is straightforward but really fun - customise your perfect bath soak! Here's how it works:

  1. Step 1 is to choose one of three of their salt mixes - bask, soothe, or detox.
  2. Step 2 is to choose a mix of 3 organic essential oils to be added to your salts, based on scent and mood - the site does a good job of helping you pick by letting you know what is good for what, and which oils pair nicely together
  3. Step 3 is to click order! Shipping is very quick, too.
I ordered 2 bath soaks - one was their Bask salts (a mix of epsom salts, himalayan pink salt and dead sea salts) with frankincense, rosemary and sandalwood oils, and one was their Soothe salts (a mix of epsom salts, oatmeal, honey and buttermilk) with grapefruit, lavender and ylang ylang. Both came beautifully packaged in a brown paper bag with a label clearly indicating your choice of oils (in case you want to order more!) inside of which was a matching dark glass jar full of the salts, beautiful enough to keep on display.

So, what did I actually think?? Unfortunately, for a product that promises the "best bath of your life" I was left a bit wanting. The Bask salts were ok, but the scent was not as strong as I would have liked. After having tried the Therapie Himalayan Detox Salts, I must say that I much prefer those - they knocked me out with the best sleep ever, and I felt like a little went a long way. Of the two Bathory soaks I ordered, I much preferred the Soothe version - it turned my bath a smooth milky consistency, smelled lovely, and was indeed very moisturising on the skin.

However, my gripe overall is that once you open the jar, it tells you to use 1/4 of the jar for a "quick fix", 1/2 for "full benefits" and the full jar for "the best bath of your life". Now... I'm happy to shell out $30/£18 plus shipping on a jar of salts that will last me a while - it is meant to be a luxurious treat after all - but I'm not willing to have a $30 bath. I tried using less, and the effect was not very impressive. So, to really enjoy these, it essentially is a single-use product (at best, double), and at the current price point I just can't justify buying more. I'd much prefer to opt for the Therapie salts, which are twice the price at £37, but which per bath work out far more economical with greater effect.

I'm always in favour of supporting small and independent companies, and I love the concept and design of this one. I think the salts would make a nice gift, but unfortunately, I can't really honestly recommend the product, since I won't be spending more of my own money on repurchasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment