Sunday, 7 September 2014

My travel makeup bag for a city break

While a bit of travel seems like a good excuse to use those pesky minis constantly cluttering my stash, when it comes to a city break, I want to look and feel just as put together as I would at home. So rather than experimenting with new or risky options, I tend to pick the one product in each category that I know I can really rely on (hence the very-well loved, read: dingy, packaging in the photo below). Check out the capsule makeup bag I took with me for a recent week away.



Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation can be worn as a very full coverage or applied quite sheer. It's SPF free, so good for day and night and has a reliably-long wear time. My longtime favourite concealer combo - Bobbi Brown Corrector and NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer - guarantee that both undereye circles and any blemishes are fully accounted for. Top with a layer of Chanel Natural Finish Pressed Powder (Poudre Universelle Compacte), which does an impressive job at keeping my skin matte all day without it looking cakey or powdery and that's base done.

MAC Painterly paint pot is the perfect eye base to wear on its own or for long-wearing, crease-free shadows. It's flesh-toned and matte, so it works perfectly under any coloured or textured shadows you may pack. The Laura Mercier Eye & Cheek Palette (not pictured) was my one-stop-shop for eye and cheek colour, and performed well enough to make it into my May favourites. The shadows are buttery and easy to work with, versatile enough for day and night looks, and I loved having 3 blush options too (pink, peach or mixed). NARS Multiple in Copacabana acted as the perfect universal highlight for cheeks and browbone. The Anastasia Brow Wiz pencil and Clear Brow Gel are an easy-peasy solution for well-kept brows, and a slick of my all-time favourite mascara, the Kevyn Aucoin The Essential Mascara finishes off the eyes.

Last but not least, Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Saga was my daily lip product of choice, and Revlon Matte Balm in Striking provided a bold option for nights out.

The above selection, applied over Aesop Parsley Seed Anti-Oxidant Serum (my moisturiser of choice for the duration of the trip), resulted in seriously long-wearing but no-fuss makeup.  The looks transitioned perfectly from day to night with only minor touch-ups needed. I was actually taken by surprise a few times, looking in the mirror after super long days to find my makeup totally fresh and intact. It goes without saying that these products are some of my all-time favourites and I would highly recommend each and every one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment