Monday, 1 September 2014

August favourites & fails

I'm just going to go ahead and proceed with my August faves and fails as though June and July never happened. Creative license, no?



Favourites

NARS Orgasm blush: an oldie but goodie. I hadn't worn this in probably 2 years until I dug it out this month. I think since NARS tend to include/promote Orgasm seemingly with every new release/palette/you name it, I had grown tired and had given preference to its more subtle cousin, Deep Throat. But I have to say, the pinky-coral with golden sheen of this blush really does do amazing things to lift, brighten and highlight the face. I've re-fallen in love.

MAC Trace Gold blush: My first ever MAC blush, purchased back in 2009 or thereabouts, on recommendation from the MUA at the MAC duty free! At the time I thought it was an odd choice but this really is an amazing blush. It's a golden bronze but on my skin has an ever so subtle pink undertone to it, meaning it can triple as bronzer, blush and highlighter without a bit of orange in sight.

Joeur Matte Moisture Tint in shade Linen: A seasonal favourite, this product is my go-to base product for summer. It has the ease of a tinted moisturiser, with a decent but not suffocating level of coverage, and a matte/satin finish that lasts without slipping off. Need I say more?

Bobbi Brown Sheer Lip Colour in Rosy: A recommendation from Estee, this is a great slightly pink, slight red, well, rosy colour. Well pigmented (not particularly sheer, despite the name) and mositurizing, my only gripe is that I'm not a huge fan of the flat bullet for application.

Maybelline Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser in Fair: This is my 3rd one of these overall, though I've had about a year-long break since my last tube. A fab undereye concealer that has good coverage (and my dark circles are a force to be reckoned with!), is mosturizing but doesn't crease, is brightening, and with the sponge tip applies like a dream with very little work. Affordable efficacy - highly recommend.

Soap & Glory Breakfast Scrub: I went on a bit about this in my Scrubs post, but let's just say that it smells so fabulous of maple, almondy, sugary goodness, that I've upped my exfoliation regimen just so I have the pleasure of using this. I look forward to it, and will certainly continue to repurchase.

I love... Coconut & Cream bubble bath and shower gel: A big, affordable, shower gel from boots. The formula is good - soap free, paraben free and pH balanced, for a whopping 3 pounds. I only use this as body wash (and so does Dean), but, like the scrub above, it smells fab and that alone has qualified it as a fave.

Fail


Seche Vite Top Coat (not pictured): I'm being a bit facetious labelling this a fail - it's actually probably my favourite top coat I've tried. But, it's about half-way gone and has gotten so thick and gloopy that it's unusable. Contrary to the shine and staying power it usually imparts, my most recent few manicures with this stuff have led to my polish plucking off whole nails at a time. I'm pretty sure you can buy some kind of thinner/reviver for this but in principle I don't think I should have to do that. Please send me any recs you have for alternative top coats that perform as well and last in the bottle?? Ta!


No comments:

Post a Comment