Monday, 29 September 2014

Approved formulas for lip gloss haters

My ambivalent feelings towards lipgloss are no secret on these pages. Gloopy, sticky, and not particularly friendly to wearing your hair down on windy days, I had grown a fairly strong aversion to the stuff. But, having chucked my MAC lipglasses many moons ago, there are quite a few formulas now that really do make a lovely product, and I've found myself reaching for gloss more and more lately. Crazy, I know. Most importantly, all of these picks are non-sticky and fade gracefully.


  • YSL gloss pur in #47, #7, #3, #4: I think these have since be discontinued and reformulated as Gloss Volupte, but I wanted to include them because they're the first glosses I came across that I found to be very lovely to wear. The pigmentation is impactful without being bold, they wear very nicely over lipsticks, and they smell amazing. The orange one is one of my all-time favourite glosses, and when worn over the likes of YSL Rouge Volupte #1 or #2 gives a very editorial look.
  • Maybelline Colour Elixers 005 Breathtaking apricot and 135 Raspberry Rhapsody: These have a slightly thicker formula than the other options but it means they also last longer on the lips. They are also quite pigmented - Raspberry Rhapsody for instance is a really approachable way to wear a lightly bold plummy lip for fall.
  • Clarins Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector in 01 and 02: The least pigmented of the lot, but the feel of these is fantastic on the lips. They add a hint of colour, and definitely do perfect lip texture - no clinging to dry bits or settling into creases, they are satisfyingly slippy on the lips. They come in a squeezy tube with a sponge-tip applicator.
  • NYX butter glosses Peach Cobbler, Strawberry Parfait and Tiramisu: This affordable option ticks all the boxes. The glosses are non-sticky, have medium pigmentation, wear well, and feel good on the lips. I've been grabbing for Tiramisu as my everyday nude option so far this fall, and wore Peach Cobbler for a fair bit of the summer months as a more brightening option. I tend to wear them on their own, and if any gloss has been successful turning me into an everyday gloss-wearer, it's these.
  • by Terry Laque de Rose in 1: This is the only shade I've tried from the range but the formula is lovely. It has a slightly more glass-like look than some of the other options, so I prefer a lighter application. And, for a very straightforward looking pink, the look on the lips really is beautiful.

A post I never thought I would write! But with the help of these products I've definitely "come around" on the lip gloss thang.

No comments:

Post a Comment