Monday, 18 August 2014

A petite Japanese beauty haul

One highlight of my time away was spending 10 days in Tokyo for a conference (check out my instagram for some of what I got up to!). I was more interested in exploring the city and eating than seeking out beauty, but I did quickly pop into a Matsumoto Kiyoshi (notable by its yellow sign, and highly recommended for Japanese beauty finds!) while I was in Harajuku. This was towards the end of the trip and I had spent over a week checking out all the girls' immaculately drawn cat eyes so the haul is exclusively focused on replicating that look (the other less-than-subtle graphic makeup is another story!)


  • Majolica Majorca Lash King Mascara: The brand is owned by Shiseido, which by the way, has SUCH a more varied offering within Japan than elsewhere! I've heard good things about these mascaras for those with short or hard to curl lashes. Even though I don't fit in this camp, best to play to your strengths, right?
  • Dolly Wink Liquid Eyeliner in Deep Black: A liquid eyeliner pen that I'm hoping will make achieving thin lines and flicks all the more easier. I haven't had great luck with these sorts of things in the past, but here's to hoping. Side note - does anyone else with long eyelashes find they get in the way applying liquid/gel eyeliner to the upper lash line?!
  • Love Cherie by D.U.P. Eyelashes in 05 nude: A minor confession - I've never (never!) worn fake eyelashes. Given they're such a 'thing' in Japan, with literally endless options, I thought it would be fun to give them a go. I kept it simple with a natural looking pair -  I didn't want anything too long or crazy - but now I'm wondering whether these will even make a difference on my eyes. We'll see.

In the end, I played it a bit safe (read: boring). I was strapped for time and while I know these brands are available online from elsewhere, I knew I probably would have never made the effort. Nonetheless, whether I perfect my killer cat eye or fail miserably, I'll keep you updated on whether any of these turn out to be noteworthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment