Wednesday, 7 May 2014

The champagne wash

Don't worry...  I won't blame you for thinking I may be bathing in champagne, as I imagine Mariah Carey does, which would be far more exciting. No... I'm talking about a champagne wash of colour, a look I tend towards mostly on lazy weekends or long summer days. Never sparkly but perfectly sheeny - a light and bright sweep of shadow on the lid, that is put together and effortless at the same time.



This isn't a complicated look requiring tutorials or the like, but it is a staple for me, especially on lighter makeup days. Here are some of my go-to's.

Creams


  • MAC Paint Pot in Barestudy - The subtle option - A beautiful, sheer, no-fuss wash of colour. This is a true champagne, and when swatched next to the others the least pink of all six. The formula is creamy and will crease but is great for lazy days or as a base under powder shadows. Bare Study is an old standby. I've finished a whole pot of this and am now on #2.
  • MUFE Aqua Cream in #13 - The waterproof option - This has a thinner formula and blends easily but then seriously sets in place. It's perfect to wear on its own because it won't crease or budge. It also works amazing as a long-wear eye primer, and the shimmer shows through powder shadows you put on top. This is also in a super lightweight plastic pot so is my go-to for travel.
  • Chanel Illusion D'Ombre in Emerveille - The cream-to-powder option - This formula is great for a wash of colour applied with fingers but also is an amazing lid colour for more dramatic looks, because it looks almost wet on the lid, but with no sparkle or glitter in sight. Colour-wise, this is definitely warmer and pinker than the previous two.

Powders


  • Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Intense #8 - The metallic option - A pressed powder pigment that can be super in-your-face foiled if you want or lightly blended across the lid with a finger for a pretty semi-sheer metallic wash. 
  • MAC Naked lunch (frost) - The satin option - A cult shade from MAC, and well-loved in my stash. Naked Lunch is technically a frost but on my lid I'd describe it as a satin, with much less shimmer than the other two. This colour is very easy to wear on light skin tones but I have a sneaking suspicion it may look chalky on darker skins.
  • Urban Decay Sin - The everyday option - A super buttery shadow that looks pinker on my hand  but pulls a bit warm on my eyes. I tend not to use this on its own, but It's a staple lid shade for everyday eye looks with the Naked 1 palette.

What is your go-to look for lazy or light makeup days?

1 comment: