Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Top 5: S/S cream blushes

Spring has been teasing us these last few weeks and it's gotten me hanging for some more lively and bright makeup. To force the seasonal transition I thought I'd do a series of posts with my edit of my Top 5 spring/summer products in each category of my makeup arsenal. First up: cream blushes.


As I mentioned in my NARS matte multiple review, I'm not typically a lover of cream blushes. It seems to be the beauty blogger wisdom that cream cheek products = summer and that really doesn't make much sense to me. Yes, many a female wants to appear 'glowy and luminous' during the warmer months in particular. But for me and my combo skin, heat often means sweat or an otherwise less than flattering sheen, so a glowly, creamy turned slippery cheek product is very low on my list of complexion boosting miracle workers. You get me?

That said, over the last year I've discovered a handful of what I consider to be excellent cream formulas that feel light and fresh on the face but set and stay looking good. No lasting tackiness here. None. All of these fit within a category of cream to powder (or probably more accurately, they set dry... not as in drying, rather that they don't remain creamy, sticky or tacky on the face). Magically, they all also blend very easily, so no worries needed about racing the clock like with some stains. All are sans shimmer except the newly launched Maybelline Master Glaze that I picked up in the states.

Chanel le blush creme de chanel in 62 Presage - I had heard amazing things about this formula but couldn't justify the purchase for a long while, until while in NY recently my mom offered up a store credit to Chanel from a returned perfume gift she had received from a patient (side note 1: she's not unappreciative just highly sensitive to fragrance! side note 2: US return policies are insanely good!!). So, armed with what felt like a blank check in Chanel I headed straight for the cream blush lineup. Presage is a gorgeous coral/apricot - a sort of mid-toned orange with pink tones. I apply with fingers and blend with my Real Techniques Stippling Brush and it really is effortless. The finish is natural - not falsely matte nor dewy - satin perhaps. The formula remained in place and looking vibrant all day and did not have that gross I need to wash my face feeling. In my opinion this formula deserves all the praise it has received. I'm officially on the bandwagon.

NARS Matte Multiple in Laos - A fairly new release which I've reviewed in more detail here and was wearing here. The finish is matte but the shade is vibrant which is a look I actually love for summer - there is something very 'fresh faced' about it. Brilliant in every way, I'd highly recommend picking up one of these. There are 4 blush shades and 3 contour shades and the formula is exquisitely executed.

Maybelline Master Glaze in 30 Coral Sheen - I picked this up on a whim during the first of my US drugstore hauls and I'm very impressed. The product comes packaged in a small stick and the formula in my opinion is almost identical to the original NARS multiples. The sheen comes from shimmer (but definitely not sparkle) within the product rather than from a dewy texture and the end result is exactly what I'm looking for in a cream product. A peachy/coral fresh and lifted effect that covers blush and highlighter in one. It applies straight from the stick with no troubles over my base and blends easily with fingers.

Dior Diorblush Cheek Creme in 851 Capri - I picked up 3 of these from last year's summer collection (I also have Bikini and Panama) and while I found the 2 more vibrant shades a bit patchy and hard to blend, this light and bright pink was my go-to for a good chunk of the summer. Applies easily with fingers and is the perfect accompaniment to layer with the Dior Rosy Glow blush for extra oomph and staying power. A very flattering everyday shade. (I thought these were LE but all 4 are still available on Feel Unique!).

Bourjois Cream Blush in 01 Nude Velvet - This formula is probably my least favourite of the 5 because it doesn't last as long on my skin and doesn't always fade evenly - it can tend to go patchy toward the end of the day. But, it is a perfect neutral light peach which is great for giving your cheeks some colour/definition while putting the focus elsewhere, or for 'no-makeup makeup' days.

A final honourable mention - I also really love the NARS Cream Blush formula. I have Penny Lane which is a muted very neutral pink but Cactus Flower would be a gorgeous summer pick. The only downside is the very limited shade range.

My faves definitely still fit within a certain type of cream blush, but I must say I'm a convert. Any other formulas/colours you think I'd like? Please share!

3 comments:

  1. Just installed Disqus - seeing if it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reviews and recommendations! I have to admit cream blushes are kind of intimidating to me, but these reviews really helped me see which ones were worth trying. I think I'll have to try Maybelline's first (they're fast becoming my favorite drugstore brand!).

    -Emily
    http://itsreallyrosie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily! Thanks for the positive feedback - glad to have been of help! I've bought so many cream blushes to find these 5 that work for me :) The Maybelline is great - I've been wearing it all week!

    ReplyDelete