Monday, 21 April 2014

The Wet Brush

Yet another detangling hairbrush has entered my grasp, this time The Wet Brush. So how do I think it stacks up?


In case you missed it, I've already reviewed and compared the Tangle Teezer Aqua Splash, Michael Mercier Detangling Hairbrush for Fine Hair, and Beauty Bay's house brand offering in this post. So, my thoughts on The Wet Brush will be in relation to my comments there, which you may want to read first if you're curious about comparisons.

On the one hand I feel like a total crazy lady now being in possession of four (4!!!) detangling hair brushes. I mean, seriously. But, much more easily accessible in the US, this was a case of get it now or be left wondering. As it turns out my little hop to the States has confirmed to me that my main problem is this bloody hard Danish water. Since moving here my hair is tangly for the very first time in my life, and shedding seems to be more prevalent. If anyone has tips on how to deal with very very 'hard' calcified water please leave me a comment below!

Anyway, back to the brushes. Let's start with physical differences - The Wet Brush is shaped and looks like a regular hair brush, normal handle and all. The bristles are also much more long, thin and flexible than all 3 alternatives, and have a thin shaft with a plastic ball at the end, rather than thicker and tapered plastic prongs like the others.

Because this is intended for wet hair, the main focus for my comparison is with the Tangle Teezer Aqua splash, which has much more rigid prongs and a totally different shape. So, let's go through my routine: When I get out of the shower I typically squeeze the water out, spray in a detangling spray and brush my hair upside down (from middle to ends, and then roots to middle) before putting it in a towel/turban. For this I've found the Tangle Teezer Aqua Splash to be much more effective. At this stage my hair is quite wet and heavy and working in sections, the rigidity of the bristles really helps to get through tangles without pulling or shedding. However, after I get dressed and remove the towel, my hair is more towel-dried (duh) and really damp more than wet. At this stage I'm finding The Wet Brush to work wonders. It brushes through much more easily, gets all the way to the scalp, and is easily used for parting, etc. I don't really understand why or how but it does work better than a traditional hair brush. And finally, as I concluded in the original post, once my hair is dry my top pick is Beauty Bay's own offering.

To sum up:

  • Wet hair: Tangle Teezer Aqua Splash
  • Damp/Towel Dried hair: The Wet Brush
  • Dry hair: Beauty Bay detangling brush
Exhilarating reading here today on CB ;) I promise Wednesday will be a bit more uplifting!

2 comments:

  1. I can't say that I've ever really thought about using a wet brush to brush my damp hair before since I've always just used combs. You've got me rather interested in testing them out for myself now, haha. Have a lovely day :)

    Deb | Debra Bros Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Debra! Thanks, you too :) I think it all depends on your hair type - When I was living in Australia a wide tooth comb worked just fine for me but since moving to DK my hair has gotten very tangly and the wet brush is a lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete