Friday, 25 April 2014

The fiery red lip

My bold lip of choice is by far and away a fiery red. Not quite orange, not quite red, but very bright, hot and in your face.


I'm not quite sure why but I find this shade much easier to pull off than deeper reds, fuchsias, or bright corals. Rather than feeling slightly uneasy or hyper-aware of my lip colour, when I sport a fiery red pout I feel confident rather than preoccupied. I'm fairly happy to wear this shade all year round but it really comes into its own in the warmer months.

The 3 I have are near identical in hue, but vary widely in finish:

  • YSL Rouge Pur Couture 13 L'Orange - A glossy, comfortable, and delicious smelling offering that is great for a lighter, fresher summery finish. 
  • Revlon Colorburst Matte Balms 240 Striking - A matte that is non-drying, very easy to apply, wears well, fades gracefully and is surprisingly carefree for a colour this bright. 
  • MAC Lady Danger (matte) - A classic Mac colour in a matte finish, and perhaps the most high maintenance of the three - this formula is a bit 'heavier' than the other two and for that reason probably gets a bit less love from me.
  • Chanel Le Crayon Levres Precision Lip Definer in 24 Rouge - This is not the most orangey liner Chanel make but it's a good middle ground to wear under a range of reds. Not necessary (esp under the Revlon matte balm) but if you want your lip colour to stay in place and have longevity, a base of liner applied all over the lip is never a bad idea.

This shade is now very easy to come by - most brands make some equivalent so no need to pick the ones I have. That said, I especially recommend the Revlon for a matte finish and the YSL for a glossy one - both of which are sure to get a serious workout this S/S!

What's your favourite bold lip to wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment