Friday, 11 April 2014

Review: Marc Jacobs Marvelous Mousse Transformative Foundation

I came across this newly-released foundation while perusing the Sephora website in anticipation for my recent NY jaunt. Nothing instigates a purchase more than a combination of 'new', excellent reviews, and knowing it's now or never (or at least a while) before I'll be able to get my hands on it again. In this case I'm so happy the stars aligned.


Marc Jacobs Marvelous Mousse Transformative Foundation is a new release exclusive to Sephora for USD $55. I have shade 22 Bisque Light.

From Marc Jacobs Beauty:
Transform your skin to its ideal complexion with this nutrient rich, full coverage foundation. This surprisingly lightweight mousse formula glides onto your skin as a decadent cream and transforms into a velvety matte texture. Blending seamlessly, marvelous mousse finishes as a lightweight, full coverage powder for a flawless finish everyday. The Marvelous Mousse Transformative Foundation is constructed of coconut water and vitamin extracts to maintain optimal moisture levels, Indian ginseng to soothe the skin and amino acids to improve the skins ability to stay hydrated. This product is also mineral oil free.
Let's be frank. I love this foundation. I used it myself before recalling the brand's description and I must say my own impressions were spot on with what is claimed. The product feels very smooth and creamy in the pot, but it is solid enough that it retains a flat surface so rather than removing a blob with a spatula I just used clean fingers and picked up product using the pad of my finger. 

This is not a foundation that does your whole face in seconds. I found it much better to work in small sections because it doesn't 'spread' particularly far. Rather, once I applied the product to my face and blended the section with a flat top kabuki/buffing brush it became virtually undetectable on the skin but offered impressive coverage at the same time. I worked in small sections to achieve the level of coverage I need/want in any particular area, and herein lies the genius of this product. It is simply the most buildable foundation I've ever tried. I could go over problem areas to build a few very thin layers and the coverage increased but the finish remained exactly the same - a natural satin/matte (though I wouldn't say 'powdery' as the brand describes) that did not at all look like there were layers of product on my face. Completely non-cakey with flawless coverage that can be totally catered to your complexion. To my mind, this also means it's the perfect foundation to pull a Lisa Eldridge and only apply foundation where you need it, leaving 'good' parts of your skin natural. Magic people!

The feel of this foundation is extremely lightweight on the skin - it stayed looking satin on me - not a flat matte nor mask-like (as Laura Mercier Silk Cream can tend towards), and not oily. It really seemed to blend seamlessly into the skin, and the rest of my makeup applied beautifully over top. Because of the slight bit of added effort I will probably reserve this for nights out or occasions where I really want a flawless and long-lasting finish. On the other hand, if you do apply it only in focus areas it could be an excellent solution for everyday natural makeup as well. In many ways this is the most versatile foundation I've used.

Last point - packaging. Beautiful and in line with the brand and the price point. It's glass - so a little hefty for traveling and some will inevitably dislike the pot but it does make perfect sense given the formula.

Seriously impressed guys! See it on my face here.

No comments:

Post a Comment