Wednesday, 2 April 2014

March favourites & fails

I've been living out of a capsule makeup bag all month while in New York so this month's favourites are mostly those that stood out to me and that I really enjoyed using despite the lack of choice - some re-ignited love with a couple stateside additions for good measure.


Favourites


Jouer Matte Moisture Tint (shade linen) - This is the lighter weight of the two liquid  bases I brought with me on my trip and the lack of choice has led me to rekindle my love-affair with this product. I used this last summer and really enjoyed it and will be doing the same this year. I'm typically disappointed by tinted moisturisers - I find them too hydrating to put over my skincare but sort of inadequate as a substitute. Coverage ranges but is very often too little for my tastes. The Matte Moisture Tint has a whipped airy and lightweight texture, provides light-medium coverage and goes on matte/satin (I use my fingers). There is no slipping and sliding - it stays on all day looking great. This is the tinted moisturizer for oily/combo gals.

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer (shade vanilla) - This product has appeared many a time on these pages but this time with a slightly expanded focus. I've use this without fail atop my Bobbi Brown Corrector on full makeup days, but lately on low-key days spending time with my parents I've opted to put a bit of this under my eyes and on some blemishes and call it a day. It's the perfect no-makeup product that blends seamlessly into the skin and covers/lifts just enough to make me feel presentable without any other makeup. Miracles.

Becca Mineral Blush in Flowerchild - I got this in a Space NK gift bag around Christmas and probably wouldn't have tried it otherwise but I'm SO glad I did. The first time I applied this I could not believe how beautiful it was. The perfect peachy pink with gold sheen - sounds just like all the million others sharing the same description but this one really kills it. Packaging is compact, texture is smooth and easy to work with and the look it provides is a brightening, youthful, glowy pop of colour. The definition of spring.

Revlon Highlighting Palette in 003 Bronze Glow - I reviewed this here and I'm still loving it. Nuff said.

Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in 240 Striking - I picked this up at the start of the month and it's been my go too bold lip. It's a super flattering vibrant orange-red with a modern matte finish. The twist-up pencil makes it very easy to apply and it's surprisingly no-fuss given how bright the shade is. See it in action here.

YSL Volupte Sheer Candy #10 Tangy Mandarin - My no-mirror-required daytime go-to as of late. This formula feels like a balm but while sheer still delivers a healthy dose of colour to brighten the face. And it smells amazing!

Fails


Oskia Eye Wonder Nutri-Active Serum - I've heard only good things about this brand but sadly this product - my first introduction to the line - was a bit of a let down. It's all I brought with me to NY so I've been using it morning and night as recommended. I'd say it's average in terms of mositurizing. It gets the job done but is on the lighter-weight end of the spectrum in texture and hydration. In terms of any other results it's hard to say since my use of eye creams is at this stage mostly preventative other than for hydration. I have two main problems with this 'fail'. (1) the pump - which is hard to press down and then control, so spurts of eye serum that have a striking resemblance to something else shoot across the back of my hand. Just annoying, really. (2) Despite being billed for AM and PM this sadly pills under my foundation. Clearly when the objective is to perfect your skin this is one of the worst possible scenarios! It took me a few days and a few trials to narrow it down and this is definitely the culprit. Wasteful and annoying. I'll finish this for nighttime use but will not be repurchasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment