Monday, 31 March 2014

The all-matte palette

I have a thing for neutral eye palettes... and I'd be willing to bet a pretty hefty penny that I'm not the only one. Pretty, compact, convenient and just altogether lust-invoking. I'm almost positive it would take me at least a year or more to use up a single one let alone *ahem* the countless palettes making their home in my stash. But, the palette I'm bringing you today stands apart from all the rest for at least a few reasons.


I find most palettes have their upsides and downsides. Given at one stage I had 5-6 full 15-pan MAC palettes, I don't think curating shades for a compact palette is easy business - someone is always going to be left missing a go-to shade or feel that the options are too limited/conservative/over-the-top, etc. A complaint I often have is that in trying to include a range of pretty lid shades, highlights, etc. the range of good mattes in different tones always gets glossed over. At a minimum I use a mid-tone matte every single day to blend out my crease, and I'd prefer to have more than 1 option for this (the Urban Decay Naked palette contains 2 mattes out of 12 shadows).

Enter the Sonia Kashuk Eye on Neutral 02 Palette, first introduced to me by Michele on youtube. A 12-pan totally-matte palette with pretty much every matte shade you would need. Covering the full spectrum from cream/white to black and every warm and cool toned shade in between - sand/peach/taupe/a few different browns/grey etc etc. This palette is the perfect supplement to all of those palettes lacking a decent matte presence. The shadows are a bit soft in the pan meaning they create a little bit of a powdery mess of the packaging (some are worse than others), but the shades are highly pigmented, smooth, apply evenly, blend well, and do not fall out on the eyes. The quality is as good or better than any of the matte shadows I've tried from higher-end brands. My eye look in my Makeup Menu #2 was made using exclusively this palette.

I've been using this every single day since purchasing it, and have created a few all-matte eye looks which I've actually really liked. Not my typical look but there is something very clean and flattering about an all-matte eye and it lends itself to a bit more experimentation with cheeks/lips. The packaging reflects the price but it is compact and basic. At $19.99 this palette is a total steal and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone who can get their hands on it. Unfortunately this is easier said than done unless you live in or are visiting the states (I got mine at Target).

No comments:

Post a Comment