Monday, 3 March 2014

Statement jewellery without the *bling*

As you may be starting to gather from my fashion posts, I tend not to dress in overly feminine pieces - preferring well-cut (sometimes oversized) neutral basics. Give me a slouchy but perfectly draped T, an oversized cardigan and some skinnies and I'm good to go. Shoes, bags, jewellery (and of course makeup) get swapped in and out to change things up. While I appreciate the effect of a statement piece of jewellery, I prefer something bold but without the bling. Here's an edit of some of my go-to pieces:


  • Aptly named the 'bondage ring' by A.L.C. - the thick band, mixed metals and cheeky finger grip to drag someone off to do something naughty (rawr!) all afford this rather simple piece a bold statement.
  • The primary coloured jewels on my Iosselliani ring would typically allude to a young playfulness. But slap them on brushed silver, add a tad of rose gold, and arrange into a cluster and you have a colourful but not-too-cute cocktail ring.
  • I bought this necklace from Anthropologie, but it is handmade from turquoise by Jane Diaz. Because this is more colour than I would typically wear, I love that the geometric shape, black chain, and slight (handmade) imperfections give it a casual but cool sense of interest, rather than a picture-perfect, manufactured look.
  • The necklace with the acro lock is a little DIY number. The heart-shaped mixed metal lock is a fully functioning vintage padlock that I found at an op shop in Sydney. Looped onto a spare chain this necklace attracts comment almost every time I wear it.
  • Probably my most classic of the lot, this geometric House of Harlow number is kept cool with taupe leather inlay. The clean almost deco lines lend a slightly more put together look.
  • This rather dinky harmonica by Blow verges on dainty if anything. The statement is really in the substance on this one - Almost without fail I get asked if the harmonica actually works, and indeed it does. I therefore deem it to be punching above it's weight in terms of making a statement.
  • A pure brass cuff by Cornelia Webb moulded as though it just haphazardly fell into place and hardened. The non-uniform brushed rather than polished finish, combined with some surface imperfections make this bold piece really eye catching without being gaudy or too 'done'.
  • One of my beloved Michael Kors watches adorns my wrist each and every day. Inspired by menswear in terms of size and style, these are both bold and versatile. The navy face with rose gold and silver is just a tad bit unexpected, while the contrast monochrome watch really pops.



No comments:

Post a Comment