Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Seeing double: Product repurchases

While I do love a good empties video I didn't think it would translate well to a blog. So instead I thought I'd highlight the products I've actually repurchased. Unless something is totally terrible I do try to 'use it up' but because my stores and my wishlists are so over-run it's one thing to say I would repurchase and another to actually take the plunge. Each of these products have, against all odds, become staples in my beauty stash.



Skincare

Bioderma Crealine H2O Solution Micellaire: This one probably goes without saying but it really is the best cleansing water out there. I use this every single night as the first step in removing my makeup, and dare I say on lazy evenings a second go does the trick for an adequate cleanse. It is non-irritating, feels like water, leaves no film and does not require rinsing. It also does not sting my eyes. It does a decent job of removing mascara but if you're particularly concerned or wearing waterproof I'd recommend a separate oil-based eye makeup remover (my favourite is the Clarins Instant Eye-Makeup Remover). I have had this in all sizes but tend to bulk order the 500ml from easyparapharmacie.com (FYI - an excellent site for French pharmacy brands and the lower prices justify the fixed shipping rate if you buy enough stuff!). I've gone through at least 7-8 of these bad boys.

La Roche-Posay Serozinc: Another product that garners much hype, I picked this up from the same online store as my Bioderma. This is an aerosol spray toner which is similar to other thermal waters (great for convenience) but this one has zinc which is a targeted ingredient for acne-prone skin. I would not describe this as luxurious in any way, shape or form but it is effective, and at under 5 euros it's a seriously good deal. I use mine at night only, and my skin has been more non-fussy as a result.

Rodial Dragon's Blood Sculpting Gel: This repurchase marks my 3rd tub of this stuff. I've got no clue what Dragon's blood is and am the first to admit it sounds dodgy and gimmicky. But, this gel/serum has been a miracle worker for my skin. I use it in the morning after toner and under my daytime moisturiser. It provides some moisture but more importantly seems to provide the perfect base for makeup. When I tried this for the first time it was one of those rare products that show an immediate improvement. I attempted forgoing opening this new pot until I trialled some other serums (I'm looking at you, hydraluron) and my skin went totally nuts. Not only does this work to smooth my skin but it also seems to calm, balance, and ward-off breakouts. Whatever the case I'll continue to have a spare on standby.

Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip Cleanser: I've mentioned this a few times now but it really is my favourite morning cleanser (I prefer a balm at night). It is a very low foaming clay based cleanser that has done for my skin, exactly what it promises - makes skin more flawless with less visible pores. The active ingredients are effective without being irritating and it leaves my skin feeling thoroughly clean but not stripped. I use 2 pumps each morning in the shower and my last bottle lasted me 7 months! So, while not cheap it is completely worth it. I've got my new bottle with me in NY and I can guarantee it won't be my last.

Makeup

Kevyn Aucoin The Essential Mascara: I've already written a full review of this mascara here, but let's just say a sample mascara needs to be pretty damn good to entice me to buy the full size at £26. This find was particularly satisfying because it came out of left field - I didn't have any real expectations when I tried this baby out and it totally blew me away. I'm super happy about finding this new fav, even if my wallet is weeping.

In a consumer space that often feels like it is more about marketing than results, It's a pretty great feeling finding products that work so well that the enthusiasm for them continues past one container and where repurchasing is more exciting that trying something new. All of these products have seriously impressed me and I feel no desire to stray.

No comments:

Post a Comment