Monday, 17 March 2014

Review: Laura Mercier Mineral Powder

I've recently re-discovered the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15 in my makeup stash and it's made it back into my regular rotation. I'm not a big mineral makeup gal, but this product is both handy and fairly foolproof, so I thought I'd share my renewed love.


I have this in the shade Real Sand and it's a good colour match for me (check out my base shades for comparisons). I wear this two different ways depending on the day.

On casual or light makeup days I apply my concealer first and then I use a dense buffing brush or flat-top kabuki to buff this into my skin as my main base. It has surprisingly good coverage - I'd say medium - does not get cakey, and despite being a powder does leave the skin with a healthy glow. Since it is a powder though, my face does not get oily or greasy throughout the day. I do think it's important to make sure your skin is well moisturized beforehand because using a powder product can feel drying on the skin (even if it doesn't look it). It lasts surprisingly well and the effect becomes even more flattering as it wears for a few hours. My only complaint it that it can have the tendency to make the peachfuzz on your face look more pronounced (sexy) so it can be useful to have a setting spray on hand which instantly fixes the fuzz.

The second way I wear this is as more of a finishing powder over a liquid foundation. For this I use a fluffier brush and rather than buffing, apply a light dusting. It works to mattify without flattening my features, and adds some added coverage without looking heavy or cakey and gives a really perfected finish to the skin.

I've been using this more recently and I really do like it. I think the only reason I sometimes forget about it is because of the loose powder thing, which inevitably is a bit more of a faff than pressed products. My renewed love for this product has also got me curious about Tarte's latest offering, which I may just have to pick up while I'm in NY this month. If I do I'll be sure to compare the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment