Friday, 7 March 2014

Review: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush

When I saw the promo photos for the new Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blushes they immediately sprung to the top of my want list. But, certainly not needing any more blush I was a bit prudent and did not pre-order, preferring instead to see swatches emerge online first. And I must say that after seeing these babies on the interwebs my excitement actually subsided somewhat. While all the reviews I've read are excellent, the shade range looked a lot less varied on the skin than in the pan. So my original lust for a few different shades turned more into indecision about whether I really wanted or needed another warm-toned hue in my stash. The inevitable purchase was induced by the need to reach the free-shipping limit on Space NK (am I the only one that falls for this?) and I went for the shade Radiant Magenta.


The packaging is beautiful and practical - a more petite version of the Ambient Lighting Powders. Although this shade appears very cool toned in the pan, because it is laced with the bronzy Radiant Light, when mixed together it really does warm up. On me (and my cool-toned skin), it still leans cool-ish, but nowhere near a Mac Well Dressed/Pink Swoon or Dior Rosy Glow kind of cool flush.

If I'm honest I'm not that blown away by this. Yes it's gorgeous to look at but I don't think it performs any better than any other blush in my stash. It goes on nicely and blends well, but it's neither matte nor glowy, and at least on me the staying power is just average. I did prefer applying it with a MAC 168 which provided more definition and lasting power than with something like my Real Techniques Blush Brush, which I thought over-blended.  I don't think it's an underperforming product but I also don't think it lives up to the hype that the promo images garnered (not necessarily Hourglass' fault!). So, if any of the swatched colours really call out to you then go for it, but if you're expecting something mindblowing in terms of finish or formula I think you may be underwhelmed. Whereas the powders really impressed me I think the blushes are riding on their reputation. I'll enjoy using the shade I have but probably won't rush out to buy the others (though now that I'm in NY for a few weeks I will make an effort to at least swatch all the shades in person and make my final decision).

No comments:

Post a Comment