Sunday, 23 March 2014

Makeup menu #2

I've been hauling quite a few bits since landing in NY so a night out with my girlfriends from school was the perfect setting to test out some of my new loot. Base, eyes, lips and cheeks were uncharacteristically all totally matte with only a really subtle highlight on my cheekbones. I really like how it turned out and I think it has inspired me to go for a more matte look more often. Here's what I used...


Base & Cheeks:

I tried out my new Marc Jacobs Marvelous Mousse Tranformative Foundation for the first time and my initial impression was extremely positive. The product was very buildable without going thick or cakey and had a surprisingly natural finish. I'll do a full review once I wear it a few more times and can give more formed opinions, but I'm pegging it as a winner. For concealer I used Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light Bisque under my eyes, and NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla over top and on any spots. For cheeks I used my new NARS Matte Multiple in Laos. I dabbed on with fingers and blended with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush. I absolutely loved this product. It was a dream to apply and looked stunning. I will certainly be picking up a few more of these little gems. Finally, I used the Dim Light Ambient Lighting Powder in the Hourglass trio to lightly powder my T-Zone, and combined the 2 right most shades to highlight my cheekbones.

Eyes & Brows:

I primed my eyes with MAC Paint Pot in Painterly, and used my new Sonia Kashuk Eye on Neutral 02 palette to create an all-matte eye. In the photo above, I used the cream shade in the top left corner on the inner half of my lid, the peachy middle shade on the outer half, blended the taupe through my crease, the bottom right dark brown in the outer V and used the white to highlight my brow bone. The result was a defined but well-blended matte eye which is not something I typically wear but I really liked it. For liner I used Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in Demolition on my upper and lower lash lines. A bold slick of Kevyn Aucoin The Essential Mascara had my lashes sorted. For brows I used my new Anastasia Dip Brow with Brush #12- I thought I had picked up Dark Brown but the label on the pot said Auburn. I would have typically gone for a cooler-toned brown but I think it was an ok match on. I really liked this product but a word of advice is that less is more and a light hand is absolutely necessary! Anastasia Clear Brow Gel, and eyes done.

Lips:

Despite being the most bold colour product here I totally forgot to photograph my lip product because it was still in my bag from last night! It's Revlon's new Matte Balm in the colour Striking and I love it! It wins on colour, texture and ease. I'd highly recommend these. The colour range is pretty fab for Spring/Summer, too.

I've got to say that the new beauty buys that I've tried so far all seem to be wins. I'll see how I get on a bunch more times and update with my more thorough thoughts but dare I say I can see a few potential favourites already. Good news for my weeping wallet. Great products make it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment