Friday, 7 February 2014

Top 5: Winter nail lacquers (+ a cheeky glitter)

I know most people are probably hanging for spring by now, but that's going to be a long time coming for Copenhagen. So, at least in my world, winter shades are still on the cards. Nothing too surprising here - winter is the time for burgundy reds, darkened jewel tones and of course my perpetual favourite - dirty-greige-sometimes-lilac-tinged taupes. And because I couldn't narrow it down to five, I've decided the glitter polish doesn't count.



1. Ciate paint pot in Dangerous Affair - A stunning rich, glossy red. You wouldn't think this is the most unique of shades but it's richer than a true red, but more vibrant than a burgundy, and I don't have anything else similar. If Essie Berry Hard (my favourite burgundy) and OPI Vodka & Caviar (my favourite true red) had a baby, this would be it.

2. nails inc. Gel effect polish in Porchester Square - A light, neutral taupe that is subtle but sophisticated. Applies like a dream and lasts well. My only complaint is that the shade leans unflattering when my hands get flushed in the cold.

3. Essie Smokin' Hot - A dark, dirtied plummy grey/brown charcoal. This is the darker cousin of Sephora by OPI's Metro Chic - the polish that pioneered my love for this shade family.

4. Ciate paint pot in Pillow Fight - A dirty lilac taupe that applies a tad darker than it looks in the pot. This is my favourite of the bunch.

5. OPI I Saw...U Saw...We Saw... Warsaw - Name aside, this is a gorgeous blackened teal blue. From far away it looks black but in the right light it's the perfect pop of unexpected colour.

+ a cheeky glitter...

6. Ciate paint pot in Antique Brooch - I got over glitters awhile ago - despite their gorgeousness in the pot I always feel a little silly and immature wearing them around my less beauty-obsessed friends and colleagues. And yet, when I saw this gold and pink multi-sized glitter polish I had to have it. A 3 for 2 on Ciate sealed the deal. I've paired this over Dangerous Affair for an overtly festive look and over Pillow Fight as an ombre effect beginning at the cuticle. It was LOVE. The kind where I couldn't stop staring at my nails. Beautiful and light catching, while the lilac taupe/gold combo is the right amount of non-obvious to make it chic rather than tweeny or tacky.

No comments:

Post a Comment