Sunday, 9 February 2014

The Sunday Sesh #1

I have enough face masks to be featured on an episode of hoarders, and yet I find that I rarely make the effort to treat my skin. Rather than a pampering session being the definition of a lazy Sunday, all too often I find that weekly treatments feel like a chore. I blame not having a bath to relax in, which has a way of setting the scene for everything that follows. A girl can dream. Anywho - 'The Sunday Sesh' is my attempt at being a little kinder to my skin and hair.


Body

OK. So let's start with body. After my recent rant in my January favourites & fails, I'm opting for a body brush over a scrub. I would have never come across this but I got this Elemis Spa@Home Body Detox Skin Brush as a gift with purchase with a night cream I bought a while back. I've gotta say I'm on the fence. You're meant to use this on dry skin before getting in the shower, using strokes towards the heart which has the double effect of buffing away dry skin and aiding lymph drainage. My initial impression is that it's quite harsh on the skin - almost scratchy, and altogether not the most pleasant experience. But at the same time it's almost that slightly addictive minor pain like when you have graze in your mouth and can't stop flicking it with your tongue (please tell me it's not just me... awkward). On the other hand, when I have used this and then showered my skin is exponentially softer than any scrub has ever managed. Like buttah. So, the jury is out - I know some people swear by body brushing so I'm going to stick with it and see how I go.

Face

A good cleanse is all-imortant, and the REN No. 1 Purity Cleansing Balm is a good nourishing thick balm, free of nasties, and does an excellent job of cleaning my face, removing any leftover makeup, and keeping my skin feeling hydrated. This is the first balm cleanser I've tried so I can't say much in terms of comparison, but I do like it. I have the Emma Hardie in my stash waiting to be trialled but I'm trying to finish this up first. I do use the Emma Hardie Amazing Face Dual Action Cleansing Clothes (seriously?) which are terrycloth on one side and muslin cloth on the other - perfectly versatile for a smoother or more exfoliating cleanse. 

Next up is a little roly poly of the Ying-yu facial roller under my eyes. To me this product represents the pinnacle of beauty obsession by overly eager consumers who are easily swayed. I almost feel ridiculous acknowledging I own this. Made of jade, this roller stays cool at all times, and rolled under the eyes is meant to drain excess fluid and decrease puffiness. It feels nice and excessive in equal measure. I couldn't possibly live with myself making it out like you need this, but if you do want it, Cult Beauty is your go-to.

The Aesop Parsley Seed Cleansing Mask is up next - this product has been quite promiscuous lately, gracing the likes of most blogs I follow. But, it is great. A clay based mask, that is clarifying but not drying, and rinses off easily. I'm a very long time lover of Aesop which I am proud to acknowledge is Melbourne born and bred. So, I've been using their products on and off for the better part of the last decade before it dropped in other international cities. I think I'll do a whole post on that soon. Represent.

A spritz or two of the Rodial Dragon's Blood Hyaluronic Tonic is both refreshing and hydrating. I like this - it's another facial spray, this time rose water infused with B3 and a hefty dose of hyaluronic acid. I find it does help to keep my skin glowy and nourished, and the hyaluronic acid helps subsequent products absorb better. Hence using this before the Origins Drink Up Intensive overnight mask which is ideal for nourishing dry winter skin, and smells of amazing fresh apricots and peaches.

Hair

I'm jumping on the coconut oil bandwagon, and using the RMS Beauty Raw Coconut Cream through my locks. This is raw cold-pressed coconut oil, though RMS does claim its method of extraction keeps the lauric acid intact, which is a natural anti-bacterial agent - and therefore great for skin too. I really don't know enough to speak to whether this is actually a step up from a decent raw organic coconut oil from the shop. My hair has been in total shambles lately, so this is good because it's good for both moisturising the lengths and for a re-balancing the scalp. I put my hair up in a turban and sleep in it over night, before shampooing it out during my shower monday morning.

So there - a perfect way to treat yourself on a lazy Sunday and start the new week buffed, smoothed, rolled, and hydrated in all the right places.

No comments:

Post a Comment