Monday, 10 February 2014

Review: Chantecaille Future Skin

I really wanted to love this product. I've been lusting over it for going on probably 2 years or more. I originally spotted it at Mecca Cosmetica when I was still living in Melbourne, and the only deterrent was the price. Expensive to begin with at £58.00, in Australia this retails for an eye watering $105 AUD which at the time of our strong dollar was a significant markup (now they're about the same). I was also keen to try the Just Skin tinted moisturizer, and as insanity has it, the Anti-Glycation primer as well. Given the price point of these products and my slight indecision I waited. And waited. And waited. Until, upon moving to Denmark this year and with easier online access to Space NK I caved.


Note: for some reason upon uploading to blogger the colour appears more saturated/orange. The shade is not this orangey, but it does have a strong pink undertone.

Billed as an 'oil free gel foundation' this product really appealed to me and yet I'm left rather disappointed. So, let's break it down:


What it claims:

"An oil-free gel foundation that has the unique ability to transfer water into the skin without the use of
any oil. Natto gum, a soybean-derived phyto-collagen is a natural emulsifier used in this process. Clinical evidence shows that after consistent 7-day usage, there is a 26% reduction in sebum production. Aloe, Chamomile and Arnica work to calm irritation and soothe sensitive skin. Rosemary, Green Tea and Rice Bran boost the immune system and help prevent oxidation. The formula provides adjustable coverage (medium to full) thanks to light-reflective circular pigment that eases the appearance of flaws."


What I think:

Packaging: Probably the most oft cited complaint is the pot packaging, which I don't think is the most convenient but it does make sense given the texture of the product. I use a clean spatula to dispense product onto the back of my hand before using either brush or fingers to apply. The pot is plastic so nothing too heavy for travel, though again, probably not the most hygenic for on-the-go touch ups (not relevant for me). Overall, I like the look of it and I think it lives up to the Chantecaille brand.

Colour & Texture: The product is sort of a whipped airy gel texture. It is not at all runny - you can tip the pot upside down and you won't see any movement. But, it's not at all heavy either. Upon dispensing the product it really does feel weightless. So upon first encounter the texture really is rather lovely. There is no scent, FYI. Colour-wise I went for the shade 'ivory' which turns out to be rather pink. Too pink. Though, once it settles in and I top with powder it's definitely wearable shade-wise. I'm not sure if there would have been a more suitable shade since I purchased this online. For reference see my other foundation shades here. For swatches of the full range check out Karla Sugar, or consult the foundation finder on the Chantecaille website.

Application & Finish: I've tried applying this with a brush and with my fingers. The first thing I noticed is that a little does not go a long way. If I apply the amount I would of any other product it literally does nothing to my skin. It is undetectable, which I would usually consider a good thing. However the coverage on me is basically non existent. All my unevenness, redness, scaring, etc. completely shows through. It literally looks like I've done nothing. And, because the shade is a bit pink, if anything it can make things worse. No biggie though, right? Because it's meant to be buildable medium to full coverage. Not! I really struggle to reconcile this claim. I find when I try to build this up, first I can't even believe how much product it requires (and at this price one would hope for the opposite - higher pigmentation and less product used to prolong time between repurchases). I also find it begins to look almost cakey on my skin. Not pretty, since it really never equates to adequate coverage. Rather, because it takes so much product, it just starts to look like you're wearing a lot of product, not that you have beautiful, naturally even or flawless skin. I would consider this a very light coverage foundation and at max light-medium (though as I mention I think the finish is compromised as you build it up).

Oddly, despite having combo-oily skin I find this emphasises any texture at all on my face, it settles into pores and makes visible dry patches I didn't even know existed. And similarly, by the end of the day this makes my skin feel almost tight. Perhaps this is because of the sebum-reducing properties it claims to have. Maybe I'll give it that. And perhaps this would be good for super oily girls who have no other skin concerns, but I'm usually quite oily and find this drying. In terms of wear time, I find it begins to separate and look patchy after a couple hours, despite staying relatively satin (not oily).

Verdict: I really really wish I had better things to say about this. But to be honest, I struggle to find an upside. This is by far the most expensive foundation I've used, and also (price aside) the most underperforming. I seriously think my skin looks better sans foundation with concealer where I need it than when I wear this. And that's about as damning as it gets for a foundation.

While I have come across some mixed reviews (for example Elle Fowler's thoughts are more similar to my own, see what she has to say here), on the whole this gets really positive reviews. Almost excessively so. So, if you're interested in trying this don't take my word for it. Do your research and if you are able to, try it out in store before you waste your pennies! As a final note, I have tried a bunch of Chantecaille skin care and do really love it, so while this product has not worked for me, I still think it is definitely a brand worth checking out.


No comments:

Post a Comment