Monday, 17 February 2014

My on-the-go makeup bag

I'm not one for major touch-ups throughout the day but I do carry around an edit of essentials that will have me covered if need be. On a typical day I may re-apply lip colour or powder my T-zone. The rest of the makeup bits are more or less reserved for a cheeky Friday drinks induced transition from day to night. Add to that a handful of things I can't leave the house without and you have the full anatomy of my 'on-the-go' makeup bag.


The bag itself is the A.P.C. Chic Case from the Fall collection. I fell in love with the finish and colour (Marion Glace) of this - a soft buttery brushed nubuck leather in a gorgeous lilac taupe with goldtone hardware. They also made a bucket bag in the same finish but I wasn't in love with the shape so I decided to get the makeup case instead. The bag is lined in cotton which may not be the most practical in terms of stains or spillage, but I'm careful, and I think the leather will age gracefully. The broad base makes it easy to pop on my desk or a counter and find what I'm looking for without any fuss.

Makeup bits

My go-to powder for on-the-go touch-ups is the Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Powder in No. 20. The powder applies easily over a face of makeup and works to mattify without ever going cakey or flat. And, the compact is beautiful as well as functional - with a proper mirror and included brush which serves its purpose. For concealer, I carry around the NARS radiant creamy concealer in Vanilla, which has enough coverage to eliminate the need for foundation touch-ups, and is creamy enough for blemishes and under the eyes. For eyes I've got the dual-ended Urban Decay 24/7 eye pencil in Zero/Whisky which gives the option of intensifying my eye look with black or brown respectively. This stuff is creamy enough to smoke out but stays in place all night. I use the decidedly petite Real Techniques detailer brush to blend my upper or lower lash lines if need be. Benefit high brow is a light milky-pink pencil that works a treat to highlight the brow bone or the inner corner and can be easily blended with fingers. Finally, my lip products change out quite often - I usually have up to 5 or more rolling around the bottom of my handbag at any one time. But, I do make sure to keep one more neutral shade (in this case Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in 48 Evasion - a perfect non-offensive pink that goes with any look) and a slightly more vibrant shade which will work to brighten my face after a tiring day at work (shown above is Tarte LipSurgence lip tint in elite - a bright poppy/coral in an easy to apply twist-up pencil).

Can't-leave-home-without bits

There are some products that when you need them you just need them. In my world, there is nothing worse than the feeling of dry hands, a broken nail, or the wind blowing your hair in your face (fun fact - I can't stand the feeling of wind - whether bitterly cold, summer breeze, or open car windows - you name it). So, I have a few absolute essentials that are mainstays in my on-the-go makeup bag. My Soap & Glory Hand Food hand cream - a sweet smelling, non-greasy offering that is cheap and eradicates dry hands. I bought this Manicare crystal glass nail file years ago now and have never looked back. At the time I thought - $15 for a nail file? But the glass files nails smoothly and effortlessly with less damage to the nail, and it doesn't go blunt over time (Nails Inc makes a similar one, here). I'm not someone who carries around the full bottle of whatever perfume I'm sporting that day. Most are too big and I'm not about to buy 15 different travelo's! Rather, for fragrance on-the-go I'm partial to the Le Soft Perfume solid perfume sticks which smell beautiful and can be applied directly to pressure points without the risk of spilling or leaking in your bag - the one here is in Rock - a sexy citrus/woody/leathery scent that is perfect pick-me-up when heading out. I also carry a small sample of Chanel Chance Eau Tendre - a perfume I've finished in full size. A sweeter more girly/feminine alternative in case what I'm already wearing calls for it. Finally, hair ties and a few spare bobby pins are no-brainers.

Anything I'm missing? What essentials do you carry around?

No comments:

Post a Comment