Monday, 3 February 2014

Makeup menu #1: Copenhagen fashion week

My friend Anna recently re-located to Copenhagen, and the city is better for it :) Anna spent the week working backstage at Copenhagen fashion week AW14 and was kind enough to invite me to join her for the opening of the pop cph flagship store followed by the closing party Saturday night at Hotel Sankt Petri. So, for the first ever makeup menu I'm bringing you my face for a Saturday night out surrounded by beautiful people. Unfortunately, as I'm writing this post hungover on Sunday, you'll have to rely on an instagram collage to see the final 'look'.


Since I was going for a bold lip I kept the rest quite neutral, but still perfected for night time.

Base

YSL Youth Liberator Serum Foundation (Shade BR20) applied with a Real Techniques buffing brush over well-prepped skin. Dark circles banished with Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light Bisque and a touch of NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in the shade Vanilla, both blended in with a Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. Followed up with a tiny bit of spot concealing with the MUFE Full Cover Concealer in Shade 3, mostly along the jaw line. Set the T-zone with Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light and that is the base done.

Cheeks

I used my Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder with the Real Techniques Contour brush to do a tad of contouring on my temples and give some semblance of a cheekbone. For blush I used an old favourite - MAC Blushbaby which is the perfect beige tinged rose that is super neutral and doesn't compete (Same idea as both NARS Douceur and Tarte Exposed). Finished off with Dior Amber Diamond for a highlight on the top of my cheekbones. 

Eyes + Brows

I used the new NARS NARSissist Eyeshadow Palette to create a very neutral, very slightly smoky eye. I used MAC Paintpot in Painterly (not pictured) as a base with Belissima I all over the lid, Madrague II through the crease, Bali very lightly in the outer corner, and Mekong smoked along the upper lash line. I smudged Urban Decay 24/7 liner in Empire along the lower lash line, and finished off with a hefty slick of the Kevyn Aucoin The Essential Mascara (obsessed - review coming soon). For brows I used the Anastasia Brow Wiz in Medium Ash, set with MAC clear brown gel.

Lips

And the pièce de résistance - YSL Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain in #10 Rouge Filtre. A bold glossy true red that is long lasting, doesn't bleed, stays in place, and re-applies easily throughout the night. It will transfer slightly on a glass but lucky for me there were no teeth incidents all night long. Because the rest of the look was fairly satin finished, the glossiness of this worked really well. It was comfortable on the lips and held it's own through a few rounds of champagne. Love.


Nails

Last but not least was a last minute running-out-the-door slick of Essie Power Clutch - a dark murky hunter green tinged grey which was just unexpected enough. Longevity and shine provided by Seche Vite.

I'm the first to admit the photos look washed out but in real life I was super impressed by the finish of my base in particular, which was looking just as good at 3am as when I stepped out the door. Eyes too - no smudging, creasing, or panda-esque transfer. And lips welcomed a few re-applications but did so graciously. Overall an awesome night out - Thanks Anna!

No comments:

Post a Comment