Wednesday, 26 February 2014

In-flight beauty

As you read this I'm on a trans-atlantic flight from Copenhagen via Heathrow to New York, where I'll be spending the month of March. One perk of being an academic is that when I'm not teaching I can basically do my research work from anywhere. So Dean and I decided to set up shop at my parents place in NY for a working holiday and to catch up with our friends and (my) family. Expect to see some North American inflected posts over the next few weeks.

To start off though, I figured I'd show you what I take with me on a long-haul flight beauty-wise. We all know the recycled air wreaks havoc on skin - meaning you arrive at your destination looking horrid just in time for the reunion with the loved ones you haven't seen in way too long (in my case). Worse still, this desert-inspired situation can sometimes take days to remedy. The following products act as beauty ammunition in my carry-on to keep things looking (and smelling) reasonably refreshed.


First port of call on a long-haul flight is to rid my face of makeup. There is no need to suffocate my face and on the contrary, it's a decent time to treat my skin. A mini bottle of Bioderma and some cotton does the trick - perfect for makeup removal, an adequate on-the-go cleanse, and no need to rinse. Next up is a facial spray - the Caudalie Beauty Elixer is also perfect for this step but for this flight I've got the Therapie Restore Aura Spray. A beautiful herbacious naturally scented spray with the finest mist I've come across. This can be used as a toner or doubles as a relaxing mist a la This Works Deep Sleep Pillow Spray. (I'll also be taking the This Works Deep Sleep Stress Less Rollerball - not pictured). I always use some kind of hydrating overnight mask - in the past this has been the Origins Drink-Up Intensive Overnight Mask, but this time I'm trying out the Rodial Dragon's Blood Hyaluronic Mask. I cannot attest to it's efficacy yet but I do love other products in the Rodial Dragon's Blood line up so I have high hopes. Just remember you are still in public so you want a mask that is clear or fully absorbs into skin, and that can be applied as a leave-on treatment from your seat rather than rinsed away with water. Anything to avoid the awkward and sometimes acrobatic disruption of your aisle-mate to head to the 'lavatory'. A hearty lip balm (Fresh Sugar lip treatment in a mini size) and hand cream (Soap & Glory hand food) are also essentials to keep things hydrated.

Tissues or some kind of wipes as well as hand sanitizer are in-flight essentials (This Soap & Glory Hand Maid smells good, is non-sticky and does the trick). Just good to have on hand, especially before or after touching your face (with the ungodly proportion of coughing people on most planes it's worth taking any measures you can!).

For a refresher before disembarking and as a way to distract from my excitement during the final descent, I typically apply a spritz of deodorant (this Aesop number is herby, non-aerosol, and unisex), a swipe of perfume (Le Soft Perfume solid perfumes are perfect for travel), and a very basic face of makeup. For skincare after removing the mask with more Bioderma, I just grabbed some samples - the Chanel Hydra Beauty Serum and the REN Vita-Mineral Radiant Day Cream. My NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla really does the trick in terms of base, but I threw in a cute sample of Jouer's Matte Moisture Tint as well. Next up is Benefit High Brow for some highlight around the eyes, and a liner for some definition (Urban Decay 24/7 dual ended liner), finished off with a slick of my new-fav, Kevyn Aucoin The Essential Mascara (sample size). The Becca Beach tint has both lips and cheeks covered, and no brushes required.

With any luck I'll arrive in NY looking just a tad more human. Winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment