Friday, 28 February 2014

February favourites & fails

February was an unusually successful month in terms of beauty finds. A DIY that beats its commercial competition, a 'best ever' discovery, and a few renewed love affairs with products already in my stash. See what products had me coming back for more all month long.


Favourites 

DIY 'good for you' deodorant - I don't want to blow my own horn here, but the discovery of this DIY deodorant concoction this month has been seriously life changing! It's free of nasties, easy, cost effective and works better than any deodorant I've ever used - chemical or otherwise. I really surprised myself with this one. And best of all, the hunt is over.

Kevyn Aucoin The Essential Mascara - No surprises here if you read my review earlier in the week. This is hands down the best mascara I've ever used. Volumizing, lengthening, super easy to apply and no smudging or transfers, it was love at first sight. Ticks all boxes, and as the name promises, has become an absolute essential in my makeup world.

YSL Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain #10 Red - I re-fell in love with this in February. It all started when I wore it out to a Copenhagen Fashion Week event... The perfect glossy red, that is both sophisticated and sexy. The applicator is precise and unfussy, the formula stays in place, does not budge or bleed, and re-applies over itself perfectly - no need to wipe away and start over. The perfect, not too high maintenance, bold lip.

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation in Rose Ivory - My skin has not been its best lately - The odd breakout combined with an, um... hair removal mishap, left my skin a bit irritated and uneven in places. When I need full coverage without looking like I've piled on the slap, my go-to is Laura Mercier silk creme. Unlike my fail for this month (see below), this foundation is seriously pigmented which means a very small amount goes a long way. The result is high coverage without wearing layers and layers of thick, heavy foundation, leaving skin feeling light and looking satin. Disaster averted.

Benefit Bella Bamba - The sun finally decided to grace us a few times this month, and it's got me hanging for spring-time makeup. I reached for my Bella Bamba blush one morning on a whim - a brightening watermelon pink. It contains very fine shimmer but once on the cheeks just gives the most incredible glow. It gave almost a porcelain effect to my skin - smooth and flawless but glowy at the same time. I does not look at all glittery nor does it emphasise texture or pores. The colour is beautiful and the effect had me wearing it for days on end, daydreaming of longer, sunnier days.

NARS Narsissist eyeshadow palette - I have a feeling this will me making an appearance in many a favourites videos this month, but it really is bloody good. From subtle to smoky, warm to cool, this palette really covers all bases. And any reservations I had about texture and pigment when swatching initially have totally vanished since wearing these shadows on the eyes. It's what is with me all month in New York. Check out my review with swatches here.

Fails

Chantecaille Future Skin Oil-Free Gel Foundation - I'll save you another rant on this - I reviewed it earlier in the month where I give my full thoughts. Suffice to say it thoroughly let me down, which for the price (£58) is inexcusable in my books.

I'll be in New York all of March so if I'm lucky with my purchases you may see some stateside standouts gracing these pages next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment