Sunday, 19 January 2014

Top 13 of 2013

New year, new blog. What better way to start than re-capping the year that just was? An edit of products that were new to me in 2013 and have managed to come out tops.


Face/Base

When my skin is looking good the rest just falls into place. The Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip Cleanser does its job without stripping, removes pesky mascara without burning my eyes, rinses clean, and visibly improves the size of my pores. It's not cheap but a little goes a long way. The YSL Youth Liberator Serum Foundation is a latecomer to the party but is worth all the recent hype - a long lasting, non-cakey, well-covering satin finish foundation that looks neither oily nor drying by the end of a long work day. A few brands stepped up their game with powders this year - most notable for me was the Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Powder, which manages to set and mattify makeup without ever looking flat, built-up or cakey. The Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders (I have Diffused Light and the LE Holiday Palette) impart a perfectly flattering blurring effect to the skin.

Almost too good to be true...

My new favourite eyeshadow palette, the Chanel Ombres Matelassees in Charming for Holiday 2013 is gorgeous in form, colour and texture. I literally can't fault it and am so happy I decided to splurge. A shockingly expensive remedy to my fine, flat hair - the Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray is unfortunately, worth a re-purchase. The Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Icon finally took the anxiety out of sporting a dark vampy red lip. A liquid lacquer that won't budge, bleed or transfer in a comfortable matte finish. The Escada Cherry in the Air EDT is an unlikely favourite for me but I just can't get enough of this warm fruity/sweet scent - the sandalwood base brings it down to earth and it's addictively good. The Diptyque Écorce de Pin (Pine Bark) LE Christmas Candle filled the void of not having a real Christmas tree and then some. This burnt all festive season, has a serious scent throw and has earned the status of a Christmas tradition from this point forward. Just wish I didn't have to wait until next year...

Summer Lovin'

Thinking of summer is akin to self-inflicted torture when the reality is January in Copenhagen. Nonetheless, I exercised my memory to round out these yearly favourites. I'm pale and for the most part I've learned to embrace it. Travel to a Mediterranean island for holiday though, and it only human to want to avoid blinding the other beach-goers. My first foray into self tanning products since a full-on disaster at age 12, I found the Clarins Liquid Bronze Self Tanning for Face natural-looking, non-streaky, and foolproof to apply. It did not break me out and can be used over other skincare. Easy. The summer-cream blush pairing has never made sense to my combo/oily skin. Until the release of Dior's Diorblush Cheek Cremes. The bolder colours were a bit patchy and hard to blend, but Capri, a yellow-toned light pink lent a stay-all-day brightening flush with no signs of greasiness or tackiness. Another staple was Dior's Diorskin Rosy Glow Blush - a cool toned light pink powder blush that I wore either on its own or over Capri almost all summer long. Last but not least, Maison Martin Margiela REPLICA: Beach Walk was my go-to fragrance. It captures all the typical scents reminiscent of a beach holiday without being too overwhelming or in-your-face to wear on a day out in the city.

2013 was a crazy year which began with a move from Melbourne to Copenhagen! 2014 is already off to a rocking start, sure to be filled with some fun finds and a new blog to boot. Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment