Friday, 24 January 2014

Review: NARS NARSissist eyeshadow palette

I'm pretty sure I squealed upon seeing the first photo of this on instagram. The purchase of my Chanel eye palette during Christmas was meant to be my last... for a while. I have enough eyeshadow to last me a lifetime (maybe even 2). The thought of the accumulation and waste had finally knocked some sense into me and I was planning to be particularly responsible during the launch of Spring collections. So it's fair to say that this palette caught me off guard. But, c'mon. seriously. Look at her.

L-R: All About Eve I, Madrague II, Fez, Bali, Coconut Grove, Madrague I, Nepal, Ashes to Ashes, Brousee II, Mekong, Belissima I, Lhasa, Bad Behaviour, Dogon II, Pandora II

The new NARS NARSissist eyeshadow palette houses 15 shadows, most of which are available as either singles or within duos in the permanent range. I had a few already in my collection but I find my individual shadows tend to go neglected precisely because it's usually easier to grab a palette to create a full look. But let's be honest, this purchase wasn't about necessity.

This palette was particularly appealing to me because of the mix of textures, warm and cool shades, and the full spectrum of light to dark. I especially appreciate the inclusion of both warm and cool satin/matte shades that can be used to blend out the crease - something I often find lacking in other palettes. I also never expected NARS to put out a 15-pan palette, let alone one that so cutely fits in your palm.

So, was it worth it? I completely concur with Temptalia that the shadows in this palette are harder than some of their single counterparts. I find the quality of nars shadows somewhat inconsistent to begin with - some are buttery while others are very hard, patchy and sometimes chalky. This palette is no exception - some shadows (fez, nepal, ashes to ashes, lhasa, bad behaviour etc.) applied smoothly, while others (especially those on the more matte side) were hard and applied patchy - as you can see in the swatches (I hope). That said, all the shadows appear to be well pigmented and I think if applied over a primer will not pose any problems for creating looks on the eyes. So if you're looking for shadows textured like the Urban Decay Naked Palettes, you won't find them here. But, I have an increasing appreciation for less metallic palettes that contain a good range of wearable satin and matte shades and I think this palette is balanced in all the right ways.

*Update: I've now used this palette every day since I've had it and can confirm that none of the shadows pose problems upon application on the eyes. I've fallen head over heals for this one!*

The palette sold out almost immediately, but I managed to snatch one up for 49 from NARS EU. I threw in a foundation pump for an extra few euros and got free shipping on the lot. The palette is supposed to launch into other retailers around Feb 1st so if you're vigilant you should be able to find one if you fancy. What are your thoughts on this palette? Do you think it's worth the hype?

No comments:

Post a Comment